PDA

View Full Version : Betfair betting workshops

mathare
4th January 2008, 20:51
I have been invited to attend one (for free) in London over the next couple of weeks.

Has anyone been to one? Are they worth it?

wb
4th January 2008, 20:59
I've done some work for betfair helping out at these events in Ireland Mat.

It depends what you're after. I'd guess that you have pretty much all of the basics covered by now, so you probably won't get a huge amount from the 'how to use betfair' end of things. You might learn a few shortcuts, get a few ideas about trading etc - that type of thing.

However, chatting to the guys that run the site (and the other exchange enthusiasts) is definitely productive, and gets the mind buzzing with ideas. It has thought me a load about betting, given me plenty of new things to try out, and helped me build contacts in the racing scene (which led to some paid writing work which comes in very handy).

They also lay on free food and a few free pints too. I wouldn't go too out of the way, but If you're not doing anything that day and it's nearby, I'd say go for sure.

mathare
4th January 2008, 21:01
It was partly for the networking, discussions outside of the presentations and the free food/booze that I was thinking of going.

It's not particularly near but it's a night out I guess.

wb
4th January 2008, 21:07
Well, over the various nights I've been, we've had trainers, odds-compilers, racing journalists, bookies, full time traders, people from timeform, raceform, betangel etc. I chatted to most and it was definitely worthwhile, just to get new perspectives and think about new ideas.

Most people there will be your average betfair user looking to get a bit more, and you'd probably know as much if not more than the next man- but there's usually one or two people worth talking to in the industry there if you're looking to build up contacts, and it's always good to have such chats over a few pints.