PDA

View Full Version : Digital Radio

Win2Win
11th February 2008, 19:43
Failure?? Stations closing.....sales well below expectations.......the BBC are stil pushing it though....with our money :splapme

bigcumba
11th February 2008, 19:53
There are probably too many stations trying to pick up a limited number of listeners.... I think some will survive, the likes of Planet Rock which is going from strength to strength - they've cornered a huge market - 30 to 50 somethings like myself that grew up listening to classic rock from the 60's to 90's and don't get any real coverage of their music on any other radio station. Planet Rock's listening figures are rising rapidly month by month. I know that I can turn that station on at any time and I'll like the music they have on, that's how these digital stations will survive - give the listeners what they want!

sparkyminer
11th February 2008, 19:53
I've got a digital radio. It's fantastic. I feel another Betamax moment coming on.:D
Hang on..........I had one of those as well.:splapme:laugh

sparkyminer
11th February 2008, 19:55
Err. You ought to read this BigC.
http://www.independent.co.uk/news/business/news/broadcaster-axes-digital-radio-stations-780787.html

Win2Win
11th February 2008, 20:13
Must be doing well then :rolleyes:

bigcumba
11th February 2008, 20:14
::swear:censored::headbange;fire Ah fer fecks sake, that's the worst music news I've heard since the SPice Girls reunion! Typical that us rock fans get a raw deal, there are only 2 rock digital stations - PR and The Arrow, and PR is by far the best. According to their website they will keep going as long as they can... hopefully some of the stars who do shows for them will offer a bit of support - how many radio stations can boast Rick Wakeman, ALice Cooper, Ian Anderson and Fish as DJ's!

bigcumba
11th February 2008, 20:15
Must be doing well then :rolleyes:

Not well enough it would seem....

Win2Win
11th February 2008, 20:20
A few stations have been vanishing lately. Even most of the car radio's in new cars aren't DAB, and that's were a lot of listener's are. I only listen to Talksport/Radio 5 in the vehicle.

vegyjones
11th February 2008, 20:45
I think some will survive, the likes of Planet Rock which is going from strength to strength

Err. You ought to read this BigC.
http://www.independent.co.uk/news/business/news/broadcaster-axes-digital-radio-stations-780787.html

Although I sympathise with BigC, I did fnd that amusing that all his hopes were dashed insde of 2 minutes. :D

Win2Win
11th February 2008, 21:05
Although I sympathise with BigC, I did fnd that amusing that all his hopes were dashed insde of 2 minutes. :D

Wouldn't think it would take him long to get to your house this time of the night :killer

frontrunner
11th February 2008, 22:32
You might find one or two good Rock radio stations from around the world at www.reciva.com Big C. I'm actually tuned into a rock station called 0180s Rock without Hair right now & it's pretty good :Kilt:

Frontrunner
:spinning

bigcumba
11th February 2008, 22:35
Some rep coming your way for that link!

frontrunner
11th February 2008, 22:54
Some rep coming your way for that link!

Thank you very much :wink

Frontrunner
:spinning

presto
12th February 2008, 10:39
i got a digital radio when they first came out, and to be honnest the reception was pretty poor, it was good quality sound - but occasionally would start to distort (like a scratched CD).

i also think the quality of radio dropped off, it's more likely that my music taste changed (i am not a fan of rap, r&b etc.... which fills up the likes of radio 1 ). and havn't really listened to the radio since mark and lard lost the afternoon session on radio 1, and the sad loss of john peel.

nowadays at work i either plug an mp3 player into the hi-fi or listen to CD's

sparkyminer
12th February 2008, 16:35
ii also think the quality of radio dropped off, it's more likely that my music taste changed (i am not a fan of rap, r&b etc.... which fills up the likes of radio 1 ). and havn't really listened to the radio since mark and lard lost the afternoon session on radio 1, and the sad loss of john peel.

nowadays at work i either plug an mp3 player into the hi-fi or listen to CD's

You're approaching Radio 2 age Presto.:thumbs:yikes:

mathare
12th February 2008, 16:37
Listen to Virgin Radio, presto

John
13th February 2008, 22:56
The only radio I really listen to nowadays is Radio 1 in the mornings, with Chris Moyles. I set it to wake me up at 7.30 and listen to it/doze for 45 minutes before I get up for work. Occasionally I listen to Nick Megeresson at night, expressing his views with public phone-ins about current affairs, which I find really interesting.

Pandora has been axed in the UK, that was good site.

Win2Win
13th February 2008, 23:32
John Gaunt would knock 7 kinds of poo out of Chris Moyles....:D

vegyjones
14th February 2008, 00:00
I used to love Mark and Lard... they were fab!

Chris Moyules is a must in the morning,

but it has to be Virgin and or Radio 5 in the early evening.

bigcumba
14th February 2008, 10:42
but it has to be Virgin in the early evening.

I'm not so fussy about when I have mine:wink

vegyjones
14th February 2008, 14:02
I'm not so fussy about when I have mine:wink

:D

sparkyminer
14th February 2008, 17:29
John Gaunt
I tune to Radio 2 whilst he's on. I don't like him.

susanwells
18th February 2008, 00:12
I have one of those digital radios which can pick up stations all round the world.. the US ones are best. weird of weird - but there are a lot of good retro-1960s and 70s oldie music stations.. brings it all back. :yikes:

vegyjones
18th February 2008, 18:30
brings it all back. :yikes:

Really Susan.

I didn't have you down as a day over 25 from your puicture in my WIB programme. :D :wink :hearty

presto
18th February 2008, 20:20
You're approaching Radio 2 age Presto.:thumbs:yikes:

that steve wright fella is quite entertaining :rolleyes: :yikes: