PDA

View Full Version : New Server

Win2Win
12th February 2008, 21:07
The server Win2Win is on now is based in the US, and the hardware is over 3 years old, and along with running a few other sites on it, and custom support issues, I've just ordered a new server based in Manchester.

As it works on a 100MBPS line, with Xeon Quad-Core processor, and a very low ping, you should see drastic improvements when the site moves.

When? Not sure yet, I need to install & setup Cpanel myself, as they only do Plesk and I think that is pants! I'll move a few other sites first so I know what I'm doing when I move Win2Win.

I'll keep you informed, but it may be a few weeks yet.

Win2Win
13th February 2008, 21:13
Well that's efficiency, only ordered it last night, setup this afternoon, was supposed to be 3-5 days!! And the engineer called to ensure he set up the partitions to those I required. With my present server it is like trying to contact the dead!!

This is the address:
Hostrocket
Floor 87
Building 1
Twin Towers
New York

:rolleyes:

Win2Win
16th February 2008, 13:32
This is going a lot quicker than expected, already transferred 10 sites (not this one). I have yet to move one with a MySQL which I'll do in the next few days. If that checks out OK, I'll move one of my other forums over.

New server is very fast :thumbs

Win2Win
19th February 2008, 16:30
One forum moved with no problems, everything checks out OK. So I'll be moving the Filipino forum tonight (19th Feb), and if that goes well, this one on Wednesday night.

I'll not start the mover until after 11PM, and most DNS in the UK will update with the new IP pretty quickly.

mathare
19th February 2008, 16:39
A scouser basing his server in Manchester - must make you sick! :)

Win2Win
19th February 2008, 16:47
It'll give me something else to hate them for if it goes wrong :D

Win2Win
20th February 2008, 11:45
Well the Filipino server mover OK, just the odd little niggle.

I'll start moving this one around 6PM tonight, as I want to make sure it is working ASAP. It only takes 20 minutes to shift it, but it then depends how quick the worlds DNS takes to update it, and where you are.

Win2Win
20th February 2008, 18:41
All done.....if you find any problems, let me know.

mathare
20th February 2008, 19:22
:thumbs so far...

Win2Win
20th February 2008, 20:13
Should be quicker!

scoobydoo
20th February 2008, 20:33
Seems much quicker Keith but occasionally it is hanging a bit for me...just get a white page and then it loads after about 6 or 7 seconds...that could well be Virgin Media though for ya!! Posting messages seems much faster though for me! :thumbs

Win2Win
20th February 2008, 23:38
I also probably need to rebuild the cache, but it takes ages on a big forum, and it only saves 3 days worth to be replaced naturally.

TheOldhamWhisper
21st February 2008, 16:40
Since I upgraded my Broadband from 1Mb to 4Mb, it's running at least 4 times as quick :giggle

Win2Win
21st February 2008, 16:46
:doh Say hello to Gaza in the next room :D

Win2Win
22nd February 2008, 15:09
Finished rebuilding the database....it's HUUUUGE :ooo

Most things on here should be quicker now.