PDA

View Full Version : FA Cup Draw

scoobydoo
18th February 2008, 14:30
Sheffield United or Middlesbrough v Cardiff City

Manchester United v Portsmouth

Bristol Rovers v West Brom

Barnsley v Chelsea

Matches to be played on the weekend of 8 and 9 March.

mathare
18th February 2008, 14:42
Gotta be pleased with that really, as a neutral.

Man Utd get a decent side (their 11th Premiership side in a row in this competition) to make a good game of it but are kept apart from Chelsea. No-one would have wanted Man Utd to draw Chelsea at this stage I don't think. One of them being gauranteed to be knocked out in the quarter-finals gives the smaller clubs a shot but overall makes for poorer semi-finals I reckon. Think back to Millwall reaching the final a few years back.

I think the only club that could be slightly disappointed here would be Bristol Rovers. They've got a home draw but it's a toughie without being a glamour tie. Cardiff should be happy enough as they have a chance of going through. And Barnsley have got a home tie against one of the big two so they should be pleased. Pompey? I dunno. I doubt they'd have wanted Man Utd at this stage of the competition but they have a chance at least.

Like I said, quite happy with that.

presto
18th February 2008, 20:18
man utd away for portsmouth :headbange:headbange:headbange:headbange - wouldn't have minded a trip to old trafford :rolleyes:

Win2Win
18th February 2008, 22:03
4-0 to Portsmouth :D

I see the Benitoss supporters have turned against him......bit slow....but that's scousers for you :ooo :doh

scoobydoo
18th February 2008, 23:05
It is probably a more dangerous game for Utd as Pompey seem to be more attacking away from Fratton Park....at home they just tend to sit in against the so called big 4. They are well capable on their day of beating anyone...but they wont here! :laugh

MattR
26th February 2008, 14:59
It is probably a more dangerous game for Utd as Pompey seem to be more attacking away from Fratton Park....at home they just tend to sit in against the so called big 4. They are well capable on their day of beating anyone...but they wont here! :laugh

Can't see us getting anything there Scooby. Man Utd are playing too well and we don't seem to play anything like other away games when it comes to Man U/Arsenal/Liverpool, we nearly always go down 2/3/4-0. Where as at home we very rarely lose to them and give it a real go.

Serves us right for the lucky win at Preston! I thought we dominated the first half there but never looked like scoring ,then Preston had a good second half and I was thinking at the time that we'd be lucky to come away with a replay.

It's funny how being in the Premier changes your perception of FA Cup draws. When we got Man U away in the cup about 6 years ago when we were in the Championship we took 9000 up. So far only about 2800 tickets have been sold for it. Lunch time kick off and about £40 for a ticket doesn't hold the appeal of the big day out and dreams of a cup shock (ala Barnsley) when you are in a lower league.

Me and my mate were discussing this before the game on saturday. Had we drawn Bristol Rovers away we'd have gone yet we can't get the enthusiasm to go to the United game (we'll settle for watching them knock them out in the replay Scooby :wink :D )