PDA

View Full Version : RP Explained

Matunty
20th April 2008, 20:15
It's amazing how much the RP assumes you know and how little it does in either its paper or website to explain the nuances and intricacies of its information.

I have started this thread in the hope that the collective knowledge out there on this forum of like minded racing enthusiasts will help me and others to understand these 'secrets' and thereby help me (and others) to bet with greater confidence and possible win more money.

Any way. First off. I had a great day online today with my 5% on Basra as predicted. These were my reasons for selection based on my system which included it being 6 RPR points above any other horse and commentary which supported its liking for polytrack (is polytrack the same as AW (ALL WEATHER)? Assume so?

I am really grateful to those who respoinded with such detail and expertise to my jargon explained? string earlier today which helped enormously!

Question 1 of my string (probably the first question of 100!, so watch this space)

"in the online RP racecard there are percentages above each bookies column. I think all are able 100% and there seems to be little correlation between these percentages (e.g. 117%) and the odds offered by that bookie?"

All accrate answers welcome rather than guesses which just add to the confusion; if you know I would love to hear from you. Question 2 tomoorw.

Thanks racing friends. I lobve this website; they can keep bebo, youtube, facebook and the other waste of time forums. This is it for me!

Steve

mathare
20th April 2008, 20:23
liking for polytrack (is polytrack the same as AW (ALL WEATHER)? Assume so?You really need to do some reading if you don't know things like this. I don't mean to be patronising but you shouldn't risk a penny unless you know what you're doing. You assumed polytrack and all weather were the same but you didn't know. As it happens polytrack is one of the types of AW track (fibresand being the other) but suppose a liking for polytrack was polar opposite to AW - then you'd have backed a horse that didn't meet your system rules because you hadn't taken the time to understand the information in front of you. Get a book on racing terms such as the Channel 4 A-Z guide and read it.

"in the online RP racecard there are percentages above each bookies column. I think all are able 100% and there seems to be little correlation between these percentages (e.g. 117%) and the odds offered by that bookie?"I don't use the RP cards that often (at least not that part of them, and not in that way) but I am guessing (it's an educated guess so don't fret) that the figures displayed are the bookies total market percentages including their overround. The lower this number the better for the punter. If you don't understand overrounds see my earlier advice about reading up on the basics.

Win2Win
20th April 2008, 20:47
If you're using Betfair, which you should be, then overrounds are not a problem, as all markets should be less than 102% which is fine.....some Bookies races can hit 170% which means the punter is being well & truly shafted ::hump

Overround is basically the bookies theoretical profit on the race. So 170% could give the bookie 70%, it's not as easy as that, but the figure simplifies it.

Matunty
20th April 2008, 21:04
What would you say are the top advantages of using betfair over say Ladbrokes online. I am not really interested in laying (well not that kind!) and am more interested in win bets and occasinal each way if I think there is value. I have looked at the site and don't really understand it at the moment. I can manually change the odds which seems weird! Sorry, but we were all novices once!

Matunty
20th April 2008, 21:09
I am reading this with interest. I have a system which uses as one of the factors the RPR. Would you advice me and anyone elSe to use the OR in preferEnce to the RPR?

mathare
20th April 2008, 21:12
I have a system which uses as one of the factors the RPR. Would you advice me and anyone elSe to use the OR in preferEnce to the RPR?No. If the system is based on RPR then you should use RPR. Would you use what the jockey ate for breakfast rather than the distance of the race? No, stick to the rules set out for you.

mathare
20th April 2008, 21:13
What would you say are the top advantages of using betfair over say Ladbrokes online.Better odds. Laddies are lousy for racing, by and large.

Follow the Betfair tutorials on their website

MattR
20th April 2008, 22:01
As Mat says you will generally get better odds on betfair, in some case significantly, especially as the odds get higher.

As to betfair, look at all the tutorials and my advice would be to use the £2 minimum stake whilst you get the hang of what you are doing. I remember first using it about 3-4 years ago and it was initially very daunting and also at that time I had pretty much only used fractional odds and not decimal so that was a another new thing to get used to. Now I only use decimal odds and convert fractions into decimal in my head it's become that natura to use them. If you are only used to fractional betfair also has a hover over message when your mouse passes over the decimals odds which tells you the approximate fractional equivalent. I don't know how much your staking is but why not bet as you are doing now but take £2 off your stake and bet that £2 on betfair on the same selection. This will a) get you used to using betfair and b) give you a chance to compare the odds you are getting.

Matunty
20th April 2008, 22:50
Good advice from Mat and win2win. Thanks guys. I will get hold of that channel 4 book as well! My system slects and I choose the best. It was Basra at the new course and was really pleased. My system is now on 38% after 125 win bets so must be doing something right .... or maybe just beginner's luck. I have really strict rules, following advice from elsewhere and confirmned here. Thanks again. I will open up a betfair account and learn by the tutorial and trial and error. Any obvious advice or do's and don'ts on using betfair would be appreciated. Steve