PDA

View Full Version : Samuel Eto'o

mathare
10th June 2008, 22:44
Samuel Eto'o has said he won't be joing Spurs as he wants "a bigger challenge". What bigger challenge is there than turning a perenially underachieving north London club into one that might actually challenge for honours on a regular basis?

I think he's confused the words "challenge" and "club", or perhaps "challenge" and "salary"...

scoobydoo
10th June 2008, 23:40
I agree, if that is his reason, Spurs are surely a big challenge! Maybe he wants Champions League football Mat...in my opinion, he doesnt seem same player of a couple of years ago. He had that bad injury and doesnt seem to have got back to the world class player he was...but saying all that he is definitely good enough for Spurs. I wonder if them going for a striker is a partner for Berbatov or replacing him?

mathare
11th June 2008, 08:28
I wonder if them going for a striker is a partner for Berbatov or replacing him?Definitely a replacement. I think they expect to lose Berbatov, perhaps to Man Utd, this summer. It'll be an offer they can't refuse. Strong rumours about Spurs signing Anton Ferdinand too, presumably to either replace Matt Dawson (who is allegedly on the move) or as cover for their two crocked centre backs (Woodgate and King)

Jonny2621
11th June 2008, 08:30
They are a mid table club with a fan base that believes they are top 4 and should be challenging for the Champions League. They just dont seem to get the realities of today's Premier League.

It's impossible to meet their expectations, Etoo was right in a way, if a little tactless, they ARE a mid table club. Just try telling their fickle 'phone-in' fans though!

mathare
11th June 2008, 08:34
They are a mid table club with a fan base that believes they are top 4 and should be challenging for the Champions League. They just dont seem to get the realities of today's Premier League.To my mind they are part of the second tier that should be challenging for one of the UEFA Cup spots each year without threatening the top 4 in any way. The Premier League has a number of sub-divisions in now and to me Spurs are part of that second group, or at least should be.

It's impossible to meet their expectations, Etoo was right in a way, if a little tactless, they ARE a mid table club. Just try telling their fickle 'phone-in' fans though!Let's not beat around the bush - Eto'o was spot on really. OK, mid-table is perhaps a little harsh but in the footballing world, and certainly the Premier League, you're either challenging for honours, battling to avoid relegation or you're somewhere in the middle doing neither of those things. Spurs have never looked like challenging for the title nor going down so they are in effect a mid-table club. Eto'o himself may not be as good as he was but he is still a great player, and perhaps more importantly still has a world class reputation. So why go to a club that doesn't share that same status? If he went to a club like Spurs one would have to ask why, and then wonder about the contract he was on...

MattR
11th June 2008, 13:59
I totally agree with that Mat. He would surely join a team who are in the Champions League and in with a good chance of winning the league title.

If he wants a big challenge he can come here!

Talking of strikers why hasn't anyboy signed David Villa before? He's been excellent for the past three years or so yet nobody has taken him from Valencia yet. I think he'd be great in the Premier. He works hard for the team has great pace and is one of those players always on the shoulder of defenders looking to get on the end of something.

scoobydoo
11th June 2008, 14:41
Villa was really good yesterday wasnt he...there have been rumours he is coming to England but arent Madrid after him Matt?

The players Spain have, they must have a great chance this time...even their bench could beat us I reckon!:) I dont think the Dutch are as good as they showed the other night, I wouldnt put a penny on them to win this. (watch them win it now!):rolleyes: Its Germany, Spain or Portugal for me....although now might be the time to get some value with France and Italy...one win and they are back in it big time eh?

MattR
11th June 2008, 19:42
Villa was really good yesterday wasnt he...there have been rumours he is coming to England but arent Madrid after him Matt?

The players Spain have, they must have a great chance this time...even their bench could beat us I reckon!:) I dont think the Dutch are as good as they showed the other night, I wouldnt put a penny on them to win this. (watch them win it now!):rolleyes: Its Germany, Spain or Portugal for me....although now might be the time to get some value with France and Italy...one win and they are back in it big time eh?

Yeah, I would never discount Italy until they were out. They were actually a bit unlucky against the Dutch really. One 'offside' goal and two scoredon breaks where the Italians had nearly scored themselves.

Germany and Spain look the best so far but it's early yet

...even their bench could beat us I reckon

Bit harsh Scooby. The players on it perhaps, but the bench itself? I think we have just enough to beat that :D