PDA

View Full Version : On a roll - downwards!

mathare
14th July 2008, 21:05
I'm playing blody awfully!

Since that MTT the other day (not that I think this is connected in any way) I have been playing lousy poker. :(

I've been playing the same STTs I normally play but my whole game is shot at present. I am seeing the same opportunities I normally see but playing them all wrong. I'm limping when I would normally raise and playing a little looser than I usually do. OK, I'm limping with weak hands in the early stages, let's be honest. That's not like me. My reading skills - which were never the best -are basically non-existant. I have Poker Office displaying stats on the HUD but they aren't helping. And I can feel my confidence draining slightly.

The worst of it is I know I am playing badly but I feel unable to correct some of my plays. It's like I am floating above myself playing poker and with each decision the player (me) makes I can feel outside my self criticising the play. And I have 20-20 hindsight too, kicking in as soon as I have hit the relevant button.

I am trying to play my way out of this bad spell, and to put things in context it's only a 5 tourney bad spell really but it feels a lot longer and a lot worse than it really is.

Perhaps it is partly bad luck, I dunno. I certainly don't want to blame bad luck for my recent results when I know I have been playing badly but it does seem that when I make my move, the same sort of moves I tend to make in all these tourneys at some stage or another and moves that usually work for me, I hit a much bigger hand and go bust.

While I was writing this I took myself from a short stack to chip leader and back down again to bust out on the bubble in 6th. Annoying!

silax
14th July 2008, 22:17
know the feeling matt

vegyjones
14th July 2008, 22:22
My poker has become ever more sparingly these days. Mainly because I am always awful.

Mavrick
14th July 2008, 23:15
Take a break from poker mat, or just keep playing the 10 pays 5, unless you're sucking at them as well.

mathare
15th July 2008, 09:05
Take a break from poker mat, or just keep playing the 10 pays 5, unless you're sucking at them as well.Poker is my evening relaxer at the minute. After a hard day at work I do like to unwind with a few games. And I think I have lost my last 7 or 8 of those 10 pays 5 tourneys in a row now.

The plan for tonight is to replay several tourneys in Poker Office and see what, if anything, I am doing differently. I will go through the ones I have lost and see why I busted out and what I could/should have done differently as well as going through some I won to see what hands I played well and what mistakes I survived.

I'll probably do a write-up on it here as it helps me to write things down as though I am trying to explain them to someone else, makes it clearer in my head. Opens up my thought processes for discussion too

silax
15th July 2008, 12:33
someone once said to me if you start mixing and playing different types of tournies it affects your performance because different types take different tactics. for instance you get a different kind of play in free rolls to normal mtt's sounds basic stuff but i tend to think he was right you get yourself into a kind of mindset on how you play

mathare
15th July 2008, 12:51
someone once said to me if you start mixing and playing different types of tournies it affects your performance because different types take different tactics. for instance you get a different kind of play in free rolls to normal mtt's sounds basic stuff but i tend to think he was right you get yourself into a kind of mindset on how you playExactly. Which is why I want to focus on 10 plays 5 tourneys as they are my bread and butter. This is probably why I sounded so down on MTTs the other day