PDA

View Full Version : All weather questions

crazybadger
17th November 2008, 10:24
We dont have these in australia and I dont get what is really going on with "all weather" races. Are they run on sand?

And what is with the track condition for these races? I've never seen an all-weather track with anything different to STAND on racingpost site...do they change? Is STAND considered the same as GOOD on normal flat racing?

Win2Win
17th November 2008, 10:30
0.1% of the time you will get SLOW/FAST, but they are so good at managing the tracks these STANDARD is the erm...standard. :spinning

It is not sand, it is polytrack at most tracks these days, and even the US are now installing it http://www.polytrack.com/default.aspx

Racing at Southwell is on Fibresand. http://www.fibresand.com/ :thumbs

counterfeit
17th November 2008, 21:12
The going is probably the equivalent of soft or good to soft. It's definitely not good or better.

Street cry
18th November 2008, 08:41
I would have said that although Southwell (being fibresand) can ride a bit slower, the other tracks generally replicate good fast ground.

crazybadger
18th November 2008, 09:30
thanks fellas but now i have a few more nooby questions about all weather...

are there tracks that have a normal and AW track? I swear I have seen the same track with both types of races or am I just imagining things.

if there are places that have the 2 different tracks do they only race one type per meeting? Or could there be several normal flat and several AW tracks at the one meeting (i.e on the one day)

mathare
18th November 2008, 10:10
are there tracks that have a normal and AW track? I swear I have seen the same track with both types of races or am I just imagining things.Yes. Wolves have a turf track but don't use it. Lingfield has a turf track they use for flat and the same goes for Southwell and Kempton.

if there are places that have the 2 different tracks do they only race one type per meeting? Or could there be several normal flat and several AW tracks at the one meeting (i.e on the one day)You can get mixed meetings, yes. Some on the turf and some on the AW. Even some jumps and some NH in the same meeting - but they would all be on the turf. I don't recall ever seeing a mix of turf NH and AW flat in the same meeting.

Win2Win
18th November 2008, 10:32
....I don't recall ever seeing a mix of turf NH and AW flat in the same meeting.
Plenty of them if you look carefully......They usually run the jumps on the turf, and the the NH flat race at the end of the day on the AW. :thumbs

Street cry
18th November 2008, 10:41
And sometimes they run the bumper on the aw just to really mess things up

Win2Win
18th November 2008, 13:17
:doh The NH flat race is a bumper! :D

crazybadger
18th November 2008, 13:29
thanks guys. except every answer seems to create more questions from me haha :D like....

whats a bumper? slang or something ive missed?

in a mixed meeting with AW and Turf (bot hflats) how do I tell the difference by looking at the card on racingpost? I know I can tell if im look at the page that shows the races for that meet but what about on a specific race card?

and something I thought I understood until just now...what is the difference between a NH Flat and plain ol normal Flat race? I think im just confusing myself now...

your help is much appreciated. still trying to get my head around all these differences in uk racing. :geek

Win2Win
18th November 2008, 13:44
:doh The NH flat race is a bumper! :D
Ditto!!!

NH flat race is run under NH rules, a flat race is run under flat rules. :thumbs

mathare
18th November 2008, 13:46
whats a bumper? slang or something ive missed?It's an NH flat race, run under NH rules but with no obstacles. It gets horses and jockeys used to racing and is generally longer than a flat flat race (bumbers are around 2m)

in a mixed meeting with AW and Turf (bot hflats) how do I tell the difference by looking at the card on racingpost? I know I can tell if im look at the page that shows the races for that meet but what about on a specific race card?You can tell by the going - turf will be good, heavy etc but AW will generally be standard. But it should say somewhere else on the card, up around the title probably.

crazybadger
19th November 2008, 12:37
thanks guys. :thumbs its getting clearer now. i have one (hopefully last) question and yes its not really anything to do with AW anymore but just want to confirm with you guys...

when viewing a card on racingpost how do i tell whether its a NH Flat or a NH Hurdle/Chase? Currently I just see what it says in the title but im wondering is there any other way?

mathare
19th November 2008, 12:56
when viewing a card on racingpost how do i tell whether its a NH Flat or a NH Hurdle/Chase? Currently I just see what it says in the title but im wondering is there any other way?That's the only way, although it is very rare for a bumper to be anything but the last race of a meeting. Not that the last race is always a bumper, mind. If the race in question isn't the last of the meeting it's unlikely to be NH flat but the last race is pretty likely to be NH flat. The race title is really the only way to be sure

Win2Win
19th November 2008, 13:13
...and we do have mixed meeting....NH & Flat on the same card! :)