PDA

View Full Version : Man United V Arsenal

John
28th August 2009, 16:03
I expect Arsenal to take this, 2-1... can't see Man United being strong enough given the form Arsenal are in already this season. Even with Man U's demolishing of Wigan taken into account, it's a tall order.

Obviously it'll be a close game but I just think Arsenal will want it more.

So - 2-1 Arsenal is my reckoning. Please, don't bet it though, I'm rubbish.

mathare
28th August 2009, 16:45
Arsenal have won only 1 of the last 6 meetings at Old Trafford (a 0-1 back in 2006) but they do look in good form at present, I'll give you that

Win2Win
28th August 2009, 17:02
Hope Arsenal win :doh No idea why though!

counterfeit
28th August 2009, 17:54
Arsenal may be in form but they have only played defensive teams with very little strike power so far this season. They will have a lot more defending to do against United so I would be surprised if they are allowed to boss the game.

Could be tight or Arsenal could get hammered. I don't think Arsenal can score more than 1 against United so they will need a clean sheet in order to win.

I think it's a nightmare as a betting prospect. It's too early in the season to give any real value to either team's performances so far.

peza2605
28th August 2009, 20:12
Its gonna be a tough few weeks for United. We got ****, Spurs(a) and even worse City (h).
I guess now well find out just how much we will miss the drama queen and the money grabbing whore.
Whoever scores first will win methinks.

chancer
28th August 2009, 21:05
I'd say a draw maybe 2-2. United seem to be grinding more than flowing and arsenal look pure class in their last few games.

John
28th August 2009, 21:47
Hmmm, gonna be tough. I'm just not convinced by Man United any more. They're not the outfit they used to be. Especially now with Ronaldo gone (ok he was crap last season, I know, but still it is a big loss to the centre midfield structure and narrows down attacking options... he was so quick).

Nani looks a promising prospect this year though, will be interesting to see what he can come up with.

Arsenal look really strong. Arshavin hasn't really got going yet either, and at the end of last season he was awesome.

Laf
28th August 2009, 22:08
It's difficult to assess the form right now with neither team having played quality opposition so far this season (if you exclude the Community Shield). I think United might edge it but wouldn't be backing them. Over 2.5 goals at 2.14 looks a little generous to me.

John
28th August 2009, 23:00
Over 2.5 goals at 2.14 looks a little generous to me.

Considering I think it'll be 2-1 to Arsenal, I might have a little punt on that, cheers for the heads up Laf.

John
29th August 2009, 21:24
What an absolute joke of events!

I have a few questions:

(1) Where did six extra minutes of stoppage time come from in the second half? Or, did I forget that 93-100 minutes is pretty standard if a match happens to be played at Old Trafford.

(2) Could Man United be any luckier? One penalty (okay, it was a penalty, Almunia tripped Rooney, fine) plus one own goal (great header it was too) plus an 'equalising' goal in the 95th minute by the Gunners.

(3) Why was the goal in stoppage time disallowed? The guy was never offside.

(4) Much as I rate Giggsy, and adore him to bits (:hearty) he just can't compete at this level any more... he made a lot of mistakes in the first half, giving the ball away. Maybe he just had a bad game but if he's going to play like this week in, week out, it might be time for Sir Alex to start looking for alternatives. He was a great player, don't get me wrong, and he was my childhood hero. But, I think it's time to think about calling it a day.

Erm, well done United. Psshhh... I should have backed +2.5 Goals. Did you have a go, Laf?

The funniest part of the game for me was hearing about 150 Arsenal fans in the pub screaming and jumping up and down like absolute lunatics when Arsenal 'made it 2-2' in the closing stages, only to shortly after realise it'd been disallowed. :laugh

chancer
29th August 2009, 21:38
1- dunno myself

2- It was lucky

3- gallas was offside for the header

4- Giggs wasn't great but no one really was. I think he's been wrote off every year for the last 3 years after a bad game and still wins at least 6 points a season for us. Don't forget that it was his pass to rooney that caused the penalty and his cross that diaby headed into his own net

Laf
29th August 2009, 22:13
I should have backed +2.5 Goals. Did you have a go, Laf?

I did John. I also got United at 6.2 at half-time. I couldn't believe that price. Fair enough, they were a bit lucky but at the time I was thinking they'd come out in the second half and have a real go and if they got one they'd go on and win. I layed off when they took the lead. Thankfully it worked out.
:)

vegyjones
29th August 2009, 23:38
1 - Most of us will only see the highlights but it is feasible to have 6 minutes added. Each sub = + 30 seconds. It all adds up if you have a couple of injuries.

2 & 3 - Not really that lucky. Blatent penalty. The own goal was just bad defending by the Arsenal player, and the late Arsenal goal was easily offside.

4 - Everyone knows Giggs is coming to the end of his career and that is why he won't play as much as he used to. But 20 games a season off Giggs is probably better than 50 odd off someone not so good.

peza2605
30th August 2009, 06:59
What i want to know is why bother sending wenger off? He thinks his team has just grabbed a last second equaliser then realises they havent, so he kicks a water bottle....so what, for gods sake why do refs expect players and managers to be robots with no emotion?

Win2Win
30th August 2009, 08:56
What i want to know is why bother sending wenger off? He thinks his team has just grabbed a last second equaliser then realises they havent, so he kicks a water bottle....so what, for gods sake why do refs expect players and managers to be robots with no emotion?
That was just pathetic, and then sending him to the stands which was a safety hazard. The ref should be banned from football. :ermmm

jonahjones
30th August 2009, 12:40
The ref should be banned from football. :ermmm

He has already been suspended once:-

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/eng_prem/4301613.stm

And he's a scouser! :)

jonahjones
30th August 2009, 12:41
For the record, i did 2-1 United - honestly!

Just check my I Know The Score entry. :)

John
31st August 2009, 02:13
1 - Most of us will only see the highlights but it is feasible to have 6 minutes added. Each sub = + 30 seconds. It all adds up if you have a couple of injuries.

Not sure I agree with that mate... there aren't many games that go past 93 mins these days, let alone 96.

4 - Everyone knows Giggs is coming to the end of his career and that is why he won't play as much as he used to. But 20 games a season off Giggs is probably better than 50 odd off someone not so good.

True. Giggsy still has it. Just not as prolifically any more, but he's a good player still.

Laf, I'm well pleased for you. :) That was a great price alright! Awesome stuff.

Win2Win
31st August 2009, 08:57
Not sure I agree with that mate... there aren't many games that go past 93 mins these days, let alone 96..
That's what I said on t'other forum, 3 mins for the subs, and one injury that was no more than 30 secs!

scoobydoo
31st August 2009, 11:02
I'm sure in this game, Fergie would have wanted just the 3 mins injury time and definitely not the 6.

As for Giggs, true he is not the same player he was John and he, like other Utd players were giving the ball away too much for my liking in the first half. But he did provide both assists for the goals, the great pass to Rooney for the pen and then the o.g by Diaby.

John
31st August 2009, 12:12
Yes, yes, Giggsy is still good, I know. :) Was just pointing out that he had a pretty bad game, but then I guess most of the team did. I still love 'im. :hearty

Win2Win
31st August 2009, 13:27
How come these rugby, cricket and Olympic folk get all kinds of MBE's, Knighthoods, and yet Giggs has been doing it at the top level for over a decade.

vegyjones
31st August 2009, 13:53
Not sure I agree with that mate... there aren't many games that go past 93 mins these days, let alone 96.

We rarely have games that have less than 4 minutes added time in the 2nd half down at Orient these days!

They add time for seemingly everything in the 2nd half!