PDA

View Full Version : Racing Syndicates

lowe1
8th September 2009, 13:44
I'm looking at joining one of the many racing syndicates around so though i would ask if anyone has any advice ect ect

Looked at Elite racing and loads others but there is so many

out all the syndicates i have looked at have only really saved this one to my favourites to follow up
http://middlehamparkracing.net

any help or advice on syndicates would be much appreciated

Tony

Link approved - Mat

mathare
8th September 2009, 13:55
I looked into racehorse ownership and syndicates ages back. I wonder if the information is still about anywhere on the forum, although it will be largely out of date.

I know at least one member of the forum has a small share in a horse but I won't name & shame, I'll leave it to them to out themselves if they wish to.

mathare
8th September 2009, 13:59
Depending on how seriously you want to take ownership you could look at:

http://www.racingshares.co.uk/
http://www.ownaracehorse.co.uk/
http://www.hambletonracing.co.uk/

They are three I remember looking at when I considered this myself a couple of years back.

Street cry
8th September 2009, 14:08
elite is v good

mathare
8th September 2009, 14:16
elite is v goodI was a member for a year till June this year and didn't think that much of it. You get spammed with offers to join Super Six and pools syndicates through them but if you don't go racing that often, and thus can't take advantage of the deals they have with various courses, I don't think you get that much out of the club. You get a weekly newsletter but it becomes quite samey and not really worth the read each week. Sure, it gives you the trainer's views on the club's runners in the previous week but you can get that sort of info elsewhere without being a member.

I didn't have time to analyse the betting advice they gave on the club's horses to see where following their suggestions would have left you though.

lowe1
8th September 2009, 14:20
I have been looking over the last week or so now that i have made my mind up to do it and i'm down to the following syndicates

http://www.highmoorracing.info/details.htm COOLELLA (VERGLAS FILLY)

http://www.nickbrownracing.co.uk/race-horses-for-sale.htm Jardin De Vienne

http://www.runningdragonracing.co.uk/horses.htm

Have emailed each site

i will let you know how i get on

Tony

Links approved - Mat

barrelmaniac
8th September 2009, 14:26
If I had a bit of spare cash laying around I would probably buy a small share or two. Sounds like a good bit of fun

Street cry
8th September 2009, 14:27
I was a member for a year till June this year and didn't think that much of it. You get spammed with offers to join Super Six and pools syndicates through them but if you don't go racing that often, and thus can't take advantage of the deals they have with various courses, I don't think you get that much out of the club. You get a weekly newsletter but it becomes quite samey and not really worth the read each week. Sure, it gives you the trainer's views on the club's runners in the previous week but you can get that sort of info elsewhere without being a member.

I didn't have time to analyse the betting advice they gave on the club's horses to see where following their suggestions would have left you though.

I got alot out of it Mat for about 5 years Star cottage is just down the road from me which is one part of teh breeding operation and i could go quite regularly and see the mares and foals, i also got agood few visits in to the parade ring at york at some of the better meetings not everyones cup of tea but i enjoyed it.

Also my membership was next to nothing after all the winnings were deducted

mathare
8th September 2009, 14:39
I got alot out of it Mat for about 5 years Star cottage is just down the road from me which is one part of teh breeding operation and i could go quite regularly and see the mares and foals, i also got agood few visits in to the parade ring at york at some of the better meetings not everyones cup of tea but i enjoyed it.All the yards etc are miles from me and I don't have a car so not easy to get to many of them. I can see how it would be good if you have the time and ability to get out to see the horses and trainers etc but that just wasn't an option for me, and unless you have that side of it I don't think the club offers all that much

Also my membership was next to nothing after all the winnings were deductedMy dividend after a year was £5.88. I only joined first time round due to getting £50 off I think it was.

mathare
8th September 2009, 14:46
I think you need to balance out the chance of getting a good experience from ownership with the chance of getting a share in a talented horse. It's not an investment opportunity that one expects to make money from in terms of prize money except in remarkable circumstances. You need to consider other benefits such as owners' badges, regular contact with the stable/syndicate manager and to feel like you're respected as an owner (albeit of only a small share in the horse) rather than just one of the crowd. If you can get that for a price you're happy to pay then go for it.

Street cry
8th September 2009, 15:50
Yep i agree with all that, my reductions were alot more than that Mat but that was when they had a few group horses and not as many members . my membership was about 70 quid a year at the time

mathare
8th September 2009, 16:01
My renewal was £138.40 after a 22% loyalty deduction and my prize money share was taken into account. Not worth it for me. £70 in your situation is much better though.

I think the number of members may have gone up considerably with horses like Soviet Song doing well but it has been quieter in the big races since then

Street cry
8th September 2009, 16:28
Yep just had a look , the year it was £70 ish there was soviet song, new seeker , dancing bay etc all winning adecent amount of prize money and as you rightly say the club haven't had that level of horse for a while now

TheOldhamWhisper
8th September 2009, 17:25
I had shares in 2 animals with Racing Shares UK. I took out the 'Gold' option which cost £450 for the first year with a renewal option of £250 per annum. This guaranteed a pair of tickets for the first request you made for tickets to see the horse run and gave preferential options for further owners badges through the year (compared to 'Silver' membership). In reality, there are often far more badges available that owners (especially if you can get to the smaller tracks midweek).

My main problem was where the horses were based (Milton Bradley trained them) meant that most races were planned for Southwell or Chepstow. As I travel by public transport, it became almost impossible to see them run.

You are NOT going to make money out of the venture (unless you get really lucky and buy into an unraced 2yo that turns into a gem!) but I did make most of my outlay back by following the trainer's advice which is made available to members :)

If you are looking to add to your enjoyment of racing and can't afford the 'Gold' option (or even higher grade of membership), the 'Silver' options start from as little as £90 with your 'share' of the prizemoney going to racing charities and with pretty good chances of getting one of those owner's badges (based on ticket allocation mentioned earlier).

And there is a real sense of importance in being in the ring before the race...and an unbelievable high if you manage to get into the Winners enclosure (even if it's only for a place).

lowe1
9th September 2009, 06:38
Thanks lads for your input

Have enquired about one horse called Kikos which has one share available

http://www.racingpost.com/horses/horse_home.sd?horse_id=672102

spoke to Nick Brown yesterday and says he will get back to me on share price as somebody is selling due to credit crunch. Will let you all know how i get on

lowe1
11th September 2009, 07:26
Have bought 5% in my first racehorse

its an unraced 2yo Gelding due to race for the first time over xmas
called Tunza the lion trained by Michael Dods

He is from first crop of Fair Trade who won a number of races including group 3 Criterion Stakes at Newmarket and his Dam, Bella Helena was succesfull in Italy

Anyway here is to some good days out racing hopefully

Oh and still waiting to hear from Nick Brown so i still might have shares in 2 horses :)

Tony

lowe1
5th October 2009, 14:15
Kikos share fell through the guy selling his share wanted more than i weas willing to pay for it :butthead:

Well Tunza the Lion has sore shins so is being rested until November then back in training and is going to run on the all weather in Jan and feb ( 2 or 3 races ) then it should be ready for a full season

lowe1
23rd November 2009, 12:40
Invested in a second horse this week with

http://www.runningdragonracing.co.uk/horses.htm

A horse called Ryans good time :D:D

lowe1
8th December 2009, 12:27
Well my 2nd horse Ryans good time is entered in itsd first race in the 1:10 at Hereford on the 13th December but gutted i am in Bruges that weekend xmas shopping :splapme

lowe1
27th January 2010, 09:45
Well going to see my horse Ryans good time run tommorow at Fflos las its in the 3:40

http://www.racingpost.com/horses2/cards/card.sd?race_id=497149&r_date=2010-01-28&big_race=

Looking forward to a good day out whatever the result :D

mick56
27th January 2010, 10:23
Many years ago i formed a syndicate myself and nine friends to have a horse in training with a view to having a touch i chose a long established but small newmarket trainer.

For anyone who wishes to gain knowledge of all aspects of racing its a worthwhile experiment,although interestingly i felt i learnt the most by spending afternoons in the pub with the stable lads from our yard some of whom where>50yo and had much to relate from a lifetime spent with racehorses.
The factor which i did find a bit disillusioning was that when it became time to make entries for our horse the trainer appeared to have little knowledge or interest in the form of the opposition.which although i no trainers in a small yard have to multi task i would have thought this would have been a priorty.

Unfortunately the horse prooved not up to winning and the syndicate decided to cut losses and sell.The animal did eventually win a very poor novice hurdle at Devon but not regretfully carrying our colours.On Balance i felt it was money well spent my fav part was not so much being in the owners enclousure but rather the stable visits .there is something magical about being out on the gallops early morning Newmarket (in the summer at least!) have a go mate enjoy.

lowe1
27th January 2010, 10:45
Cheers mate

This is first go into racehorse ownership so its just a introduction hence i picked something low cost , but hoping to move up a bit in the future to a decent good trainer and own 100% of shares.

I have friends in aberdeen who got me into race ownership they own regal parade which won the Ayr gold cup. the horse cost them £16,000 between 3 of them and it won them 1/2 million lucky ::swear. though he won a fortune at the bookies as well as everyone bet on it when it was 30/1:D:D

mick56
27th January 2010, 11:11
Lowe1,that's a great story to read of your friends success.:thumbs

I would imagine that these days if you go via that route it is not so much buying the horse but rather the running costs with just 3 or 4 friends in the syndicate.

If you are content to buy a horse realistically capable of winning a small race for glory or betting,spending time with the form book and sales catalogue for older horses make this by to days standards a realistic possibility.

With regards to classic or group aspiration's dont you find it a fascinating aspect of our sport that an Arab Prince can pay two million pounds for a classicaly bred yearling that turns out to be not good enough to win a class5 at Warwick, and very occasionally a small investor who is more likley in it for the love of the sport as opposed to clinical investment can hit the jack pot via a group or even classic winner from a much smaller outlay i just love to see this ,and who noes you could be next.

lowe1
17th April 2010, 21:17
Went to watch my horse today ( Ryans good time ) in the 5:25 at Bangor

Was disapointed as he was in the group of 4 that had pulled ahead 4 out but was cut up and the Jockey told us he had to literally bring him to a stop really quick to stop him going into the back of the horse that squeezed him out of the leading 3. The Jockey Jodie Mogford said he definitely had enough in him to carry on going and would have finished in the first 3 if he hadn't been squeezed out :ass2 Stewards enquiry result stands report to follow

Running again maybe Hereford in 2 weeks so hopefully start having some fun with him and hopefully get a result or 2 :D:D

Mattw07
18th April 2010, 19:35
Thats unlucky Lowe, didnt see the race but must of been pretty bad, seen on Nikki Evans twitter page the horse got a cut on its hind leg from that incident.

Win2Win
18th April 2010, 19:58
Blame the jockey for being in the wrong position.... book Peter Scudamore next time :doh

lowe1
21st April 2010, 07:02
The Stewards held an enquiry and had all the jockeys in. They placed the blame on Brian Toomey, the jockey of Red Onion and handed him a 4 day suspension as well as noting that Ryan was badly hampered.

lowe1
15th May 2010, 21:14
Just bad luck after bad luck with this horse

Ran today in the 5:50 at Uttoxeter was looking guaranteed (at 33/1) for a place until pulled up lame with finishing post in sight , at first we feared he may have to be put down but was saved in the end though Don't know how bad the injury is waiting to hear

vegyjones
16th May 2010, 00:59
Went well for a long time Tony, hope the fella is okay...