PDA

View Full Version : WC Qualifiers

Win2Win
16th October 2009, 01:15
Great to see France and Portugal struggling :D .....it'll be sooooo good if the latter doesn't qualify :thumbs

I've been watching a number of the America qualifiers, and one thing that stands out is that when a player is taken out in a tackle, they just get straight back up in most cases, and it helps the game flow better.

MattR
16th October 2009, 10:15
And both teams attack, rather than some of the cagey European games

John
16th October 2009, 12:18
The qualifiers have been pretty exciting - I notice both Turkey and Sweden have failed to qualify - good news for England (:doh) since I can't remember the last time we beat Sweden. Have we beaten them in the last 20 years? Pretty sure I read somewhere that we haven't.

I read in London's free 'Sport' magazine this morning that Spain are 'the best team in the world right now'. Not really sure what to make of that comment. Yes, they're a good side. But they're not the best in the world...

Portugal not qualifying would be hilarious. No Ronaldo! :D

I know we say this at every major international championship but England actually do have a better chance to do well [notice I didn't say 'win'] this time around. Capello seems to have instilled some discipline and determination into the players, plus he is gaining the respect of the public for doing so.

bigcumba
16th October 2009, 17:55
Much as it galls me to say it :D, I think this time the England team can follow the hype and go and win next year.

MattR
16th October 2009, 19:56
Not convinced about the England team yet BigC. A couple of key injuries and we will be struggling. Also I think wednesday highlighted why we struggle when we play the big boys. We gave away possession a lot and a weak Belarus side cut through our defence on more than one occasion. A better side will punish us for that.

Brazil and Spain are the obvious choices then there's Germany as always and much as Argentina are in disarray now, no doubt they'll be dangerous. Then there's Holland, Italy etc. Also if Portugal get through the play offs (which are seeded, talk about we only want the big boys in the finals :rolleyes: ) then we'll no doubt go out to them again!

Win2Win
16th October 2009, 22:55
Stupid having seeds especially changing the rules only last week.

John
16th October 2009, 23:15
Why are Spain being dubbed so good right now? Have they stepped up a notch or something? Against Belarus we weren't all that good. Okay we put 3 goals past them but they're Belarus for crying out loud, not many teams who have qualified couldn't beat Belarus.

Germany, I hate to say I think will do really well this time round. They've always got the ammunition and they use it when it matters. Italy aren't as good as they used to be, I think we can safely ignore them unless they turn out to be surprisingly classy.

There's a bogey team to watch out for as well, and I'm sure there will be at least one! Seem to remember Greece or was it Ghana who did really well in the last World Cup? Maybe England will be this year's crappy underdogs eh? :laugh

bigcumba
16th October 2009, 23:27
Germany, They've always got the ammunition and they use it when it matters.

well, they do have history of that sort of thing.... just don't tell Poland.... :laugh

MattR
17th October 2009, 10:26
:laugh

Win2Win
17th October 2009, 12:11
well, they do have history of that sort of thing.... just don't tell Poland.... :laugh
Touche :D

scoobydoo
17th October 2009, 13:01
Why are Spain being dubbed so good right now?

They are European Champions John, they have 2 of the best strikers in the world, (Torres & Villa) 2 of the best midfielders (Xavi & Iniesta) plus Fabregas, a top goalkeeper, decent defenders, they are technically very good, won 10 out of 10 in qualifying and would muller this England team on a good day I'm afraid. If Capello gets England to the semi-finals, he would have done very well. They cannot pass and move well enough to win a world cup as Matt has said and their price on Betfair is a joke imho. I think Brazil are looking good although not sure how the cooler weather in South Africa will have on them...never rule out the Germans...I would bet they will go further than us....again! :rolleyes:

John
18th October 2009, 00:50
Cheers Ricks. I can't believe I forgot Spain won the Euros! Of course, of course. So this is why they're up there with a good chance. I don't really follow European football (domestic) so I'm not sure if Xavi and Iniesta are still at Barca but it wouldn't surprise me if they were. Actually, didn't Iniesta go to Real Madrid? I might be thinking of someone else.

I'm in agreement with you, I don't think England can win the WC with the way our players play, technically. We just aren't good enough. Like you say if Fab can get us to the semis we'll've done really well but to be honest I can't see that happening. Part of my reason for saying that is because every major championship we go out earlier than expected. And to get to the semis means being one of the last 4 remaining, which therefore subsequently could mean: Brazil, Spain, Germany, England. When you write those teams out like that, England are the weakest [arguably by far]. I've changed my mind about Italy a bit and I think they could be tougher than we think. Argentina will also pose a problem or two.

Sorry, a little drunk, hence the mish-mash rambling style of this post.

MattR
18th October 2009, 11:11
And with all those Spanish players Rick mentioned he forgot Alonso too! God, what a midfield they have. Probably 4 of the best passers and creative players in the world! Fortunately they can't all play at once.

On a side note, any coincidence that Liverpool are suffering this season since Alonso has gone? I don't think so.

scoobydoo
18th October 2009, 11:44
Cheers Ricks. I can't believe I forgot Spain won the Euros! Of course, of course. So this is why they're up there with a good chance. I don't really follow European football (domestic) so I'm not sure if Xavi and Iniesta are still at Barca but it wouldn't surprise me if they were. Actually, didn't Iniesta go to Real Madrid? I might be thinking of someone else.

Iniesta is still at Barca yes, very good player.

And with all those Spanish players Rick mentioned he forgot Alonso too! God, what a midfield they have. Probably 4 of the best passers and creative players in the world! Fortunately they can't all play at once.

On a side note, any coincidence that Liverpool are suffering this season since Alonso has gone? I don't think so.

Yeah can't believe I left him out :splapme..to think just under a year ago Liverpool were trying to get rid of him to Juventus weren't they and they wouldn't pay the £12 million fee was it? I bet they regret that decision now eh? :)