PDA

View Full Version : Weekend Premier League

jonahjones
7th November 2009, 16:08
Ashley Young gives Aston Villa an early lead at home to Bolton Wanderers.

jonahjones
7th November 2009, 16:13
Robbie Keane gives Tottenham Hotspur the lead at home to Sunderland.

jonahjones
7th November 2009, 16:18
Jamie O'Hara puts Portsmouth ahead against Blackburn Rovers at Ewood Park.

jonahjones
7th November 2009, 16:21
Graham Alexander scores from the penalty spot to give Burnley the lead away to Manchester City.

jonahjones
7th November 2009, 16:35
Steven Fletcher increases Burnley's lead at the City of Manchester Stadium.

John
7th November 2009, 16:40
Mine and a few other people's "HT/FT Home/Home" on Man City ain't looking great with 5 minutes to go until half time.

jonahjones
7th November 2009, 16:44
Gabriel Agbonlahor increases Aston Villa's advantage at home to Bolton Wanderers.

jonahjones
7th November 2009, 16:45
Shaun Wright-Phillips pulls a goal back for Manchester City at home to Burnley.

jonahjones
7th November 2009, 16:47
Johan Elmander pulls a goal back for Bolton at Villa Park.

jonahjones
7th November 2009, 17:16
Jason Roberts equalises for Blackburn at home to Portsmouth, John Carew puts Aston Villa 3-1 ahead at home to Bolton and Kolo Toure equalises for Manchester City at home to Burnley.

jonahjones
7th November 2009, 17:18
Craig Bellamy completes the comeback as Manchester City now lead 3-2 against Burnley.

jonahjones
7th November 2009, 17:31
Tom Huddlestone puts Spurs 2-0 up at home to Sunderland who have also missed a penalty through ex-Spurs player Darren Bent.

jonahjones
7th November 2009, 17:35
James Milner scores a fourth for Villa against Bolton and Ryan Nelsen puts Blackburn 2-1 ahead at home to Portsmouth.

jonahjones
7th November 2009, 17:36
Carlos Cuellar makes it Aston Villa 5 Bolton Wanderers 1.

jonahjones
7th November 2009, 17:46
Jason Roberts wraps up the points for Blackburn at home to Portsmouth. They now lead 3-1.

jonahjones
7th November 2009, 17:49
Kevin McDonald equalises for Burnley at the City of Manchester Stadium.

jonahjones
7th November 2009, 19:03
A Ronald Zubar own-goal gives Arsenal the lead away to Wolverhampton Wanderers.

jonahjones
7th November 2009, 19:09
Eduardo scores a second for Arsenal at Molineux.

jonahjones
7th November 2009, 19:21
Cesc Fabregas ensures Arsenal are three-up before half-time.

jonahjones
7th November 2009, 20:00
Andreii Arshavin makes it Wolves 0 Arsenal 4.

jonahjones
7th November 2009, 20:23
Jody Craddock nets his third goal in two games as Wolves score a consolation.

lowe1
7th November 2009, 20:25
Andreii Arshavin makes it Wolves 0 Arsenal 4.

Arshavin is on fire lately i would even say one of the best players in the premier for his position

MattR
8th November 2009, 11:28
Yes, he's been superb hasn't he. He is almost a stereotype Arsenal player, vision, passing, pace, skill. All this from someone who looks like a 12 year old and is about as tall!

jonahjones
8th November 2009, 18:40
John Terry puts Chelsea ahead at home to Manchester United with just under fifteen minutes remaining.

chancer
8th November 2009, 19:02
Since Fergie gave out about the ref a few weeks ago, we can't get a decision. Today a clear penalty in the first half not given. Then a rediculous free kick results in a goal. The fact that drogba was offside and just missed flicking it but wasn't deemed interferring with play just tops things off. The sooner Fergie takes his ban, the better.;fire:headbange:headbange

scoobydoo
8th November 2009, 19:07
Last season Utd would've scored in a game like this, especially after dominating it so much. But the threat up front is much less this year and will cost them at the end of the season, whether that is Fergie's fault or the board for banking the money...who knows?? But it sure is frustrating.

Win2Win
8th November 2009, 19:30
Since Fergie gave out about the ref a few weeks ago, we can't get a decision. Today a clear penalty in the first half not given. Then a rediculous free kick results in a goal.
Never a pen, 50/50 :D

piggy
8th November 2009, 19:49
obviously chancer does not grasp the offside rule it's WHEN THE BALL IS PLAYED :ermmm c'mon you man u fans take on the chin as the teabagger said to the ladyboy :D

mathare
8th November 2009, 19:57
obviously chancer does not grasp the offside rule it's WHEN THE BALL IS PLAYEDActually Drogba was in an offside position but may not have committed an offside offence. There is a difference.

When Terry headed the ball, if Drogba was obstructing an opponent's line of vision or otherwise distracting or deceiving him then he is commiting an offence and Chelsea should have been penalised. I watched the match and the replays of the goal but I can't recall clearly enough now what Drogba was doing when Terry headed the ball goalwards. Drogba doesn't need to have touched the ball to have committed an offside offence though

jonahjones
8th November 2009, 19:59
Having had my son's tenth birthday yesterday, I had my daughter's sixth birthday today and so was out earlier.

For the sake of completeness, the other scores from today are as follows:-

Hull City 2 (Olofinjana 62, Vennegor of Hesselink 90) Stoke City 1 (Etherington 29, Faye sent-off 87)

Wigan Athletic 1 (Boyce 13) Fulham 1 (Dempsey (pen) 39)

West Ham United 1 (Hibbert (og) 65) Everton 2 (Saha 27, Gosling 64) :)

chancer
8th November 2009, 20:04
Its one thing when the occasional decision goes against a team but this has been happening in every game since Fergie's outburst. Its making me paranoid, god only knows what the players are feeling. United were good today but make many clear cut chances.

Win2Win
8th November 2009, 20:29
Its one thing when the occasional decision goes against a team but this has been happening in every game since Fergie's outburst.
Now you know what other supporters have had to put up with over the years when playing at ManU

scoobydoo
8th November 2009, 21:45
obviously chancer does not grasp the offside rule it's WHEN THE BALL IS PLAYED :ermmm c'mon you man u fans take on the chin as the teabagger said to the ladyboy :D

Actually Drogba was in an offside position but may not have committed an offside offence. There is a difference.

When Terry headed the ball, if Drogba was obstructing an opponent's line of vision or otherwise distracting or deceiving him then he is commiting an offence and Chelsea should have been penalised. I watched the match and the replays of the goal but I can't recall clearly enough now what Drogba was doing when Terry headed the ball goalwards. Drogba doesn't need to have touched the ball to have committed an offside offence though

It's a stupid rule now, you can be standing right in front of the goalkeeper and not touch it but go for the ball, and not be called offside. He missed the ball by about a toenail, in which case imho, he should be called offside.He is interfering when the goalkeeper is trying to save it which makes him active doesn't it? If they are not in front of the goalkeeper to the side, fair enough but if you are in front of the keeper and you attempt to get a nick on the ball, offside. Simple. :doh

TooTall
8th November 2009, 22:39
I thought the utd player led on the floor was playing Drogba onside?

mathare
9th November 2009, 10:07
It's a stupid rule now, you can be standing right in front of the goalkeeper and not touch it but go for the ball, and not be called offside. He missed the ball by about a toenail, in which case imho, he should be called offside.He is interfering when the goalkeeper is trying to save it which makes him active doesn't it? If they are not in front of the goalkeeper to the side, fair enough but if you are in front of the keeper and you attempt to get a nick on the ball, offside. Simple. :dohI think the rule is mis-applied in too many cases as officials (not to mention pundits, commentators etc) don't understand it as well as they should. Maybe FIFA need to make the rule clearer with more examples of what makes a player active or otherwise. But in the case you mention Scoobs, if the player makes the keeper believe the attacker MAY try to play the ball then the attacker is active as he is distracting an opponent from concentrating on players stood is onside positions.

I'd need to see the replay of the goal again, preferably in slo-mo and maybe even from a couple of angles, to be sure about Drogba. I seem to recall him being in an offside position which is not an offence in itself. A defender went with him so was obviously being distracted whch makes it an offence. Perhaps under the current wording of the rule defenders should let Drogba go in situations like this and if he gets a nick on the ball then he's active and offside but how many defenders can naturally do that in the heat of a game?

It's fair enough that being in an offside position isn't itself an offence if the offside player is far enough away from the action, or even the potential action zone to be ignored, e.g. the other side of the pitch, but the rule causes so much confusion and anger when mis-applied or mis-interpreted that I do think it needs changing.

I thought the utd player led on the floor was playing Drogba onside?That'll be the United player distracted by Drogba being in an offside position. The one that tangled with Drogba and came off worst. Arguably that makes Drogba active as he has taken a defender out of the game, one who may have got across and got something on the ball (as Drogba attempted) had he not been on the floor

Win2Win
9th November 2009, 10:11
Video replays shows Drogba was onside anyway.

ManU supporters have short memories, search Youtube for ManU offside goals :rolleyes:

lowe1
9th November 2009, 10:49
Was it just me or am i correct in that UTD were not wearing poppys yesterday on their shirts :yikes:

mathare
9th November 2009, 11:02
Was it just me or am i correct in that UTD were not wearing poppys yesterday on their shirts :yikes:I thought they were but having just looked at photos from yesterday I can't see any on their shirts when they lined up for the minute's silence

peza2605
9th November 2009, 11:05
no we were not wearing poppys on our shirts which probably fit in with everyones opinion we are satan in disguise :mover

scoobydoo
9th November 2009, 11:17
I think the rule is mis-applied in too many cases as officials (not to mention pundits, commentators etc) don't understand it as well as they should. Maybe FIFA need to make the rule clearer with more examples of what makes a player active or otherwise. But in the case you mention Scoobs, if the player makes the keeper believe the attacker MAY try to play the ball then the attacker is active as he is distracting an opponent from concentrating on players stood is onside positions.

I'd need to see the replay of the goal again, preferably in slo-mo and maybe even from a couple of angles, to be sure about Drogba. I seem to recall him being in an offside position which is not an offence in itself. A defender went with him so was obviously being distracted whch makes it an offence. Perhaps under the current wording of the rule defenders should let Drogba go in situations like this and if he gets a nick on the ball then he's active and offside but how many defenders can naturally do that in the heat of a game?

It's fair enough that being in an offside position isn't itself an offence if the offside player is far enough away from the action, or even the potential action zone to be ignored, e.g. the other side of the pitch, but the rule causes so much confusion and anger when mis-applied or mis-interpreted that I do think it needs changing.

That'll be the United player distracted by Drogba being in an offside position. The one that tangled with Drogba and came off worst. Arguably that makes Drogba active as he has taken a defender out of the game, one who may have got across and got something on the ball (as Drogba attempted) had he not been on the floor

As was said last night on MOTD2, Van Der Sar couldn't just concentrate on trying to save the ball as he didn't know if Drogba was going to get a touch on the ball, which makes him active.Utd were unlucky in that aspect. However, after seeing it again last night, the 'offside' is immaterial as Drogba fouled Wes Brown, clear as day.

mathare
9th November 2009, 11:23
It sounds like a bit of a strange thing to say but I don't see where the goals are going to come from in that United side they put out yesterday. Rooney isn't going to score huge numbers a season so you're relying on goals coming from the midfield. Giggs, Scholes and Valencia can all score goals but they won't score many so where was the goal threat yesterday? United still lack a major striker don't they?

scoobydoo
9th November 2009, 11:35
It sounds like a bit of a strange thing to say but I don't see where the goals are going to come from in that United side they put out yesterday. Rooney isn't going to score huge numbers a season so you're relying on goals coming from the midfield. Giggs, Scholes and Valencia can all score goals but they won't score many so where was the goal threat yesterday? United still lack a major striker don't they?

Absolutely....I don't know if he'll go and get someone in January as they are cup-tied normally and Ferguson often chooses to wait until the summer.He knows the cutting edge that Ronaldo gave them is missing but it is not easy to replace someone like him is it? There is so little between the 'top 4' teams that you just need that individual brilliance sometimes to win a game. That is not to say they would definitely have won with Ronaldo yesterday but the threat to their goal would've been much more I feel. The fact Utd have lost 3 games now is too many but this could be a weird year where 5 or 6 defeats could win the championship. But it also puts more pressure on them to beat Liverpool and Chelsea at home as well.

MattR
9th November 2009, 16:32
Meanwhile, Arsenal are sneaking up on the blindside. If they continue to sweep aside everyone outside of the other big 3 the results against those may be immaterial.

As Mat and Scooby were saying about the goal threat, Chelsea and Arsenal have plenty of players capable of scoring, where as this season Man Utd have very few outside of Rooney and Berbatov and the occasional Vidic set piece header. For Liverpool Torres, Gerrard and Benayoun score pretty much all their goals so any of those being out as has been the case recently means few goals.

Chelsea's stat they mentioned yesterday of 25 unanswered goals at stamford bridge is incredible.

John
9th November 2009, 16:55
Chelsea's stat they mentioned yesterday of 25 unanswered goals at stamford bridge is incredible.

Not sure I understand what you mean Matt. Unanswered?

Arsenal are on fire, clearly the best playing team in the league at the moment. Arshavin, Van Persie, Fabregas, all in tip top form and scoring goals. Arsene Wenger cannot surely be moaning at the moment, can he?

As for Man U, they lack quality, strength in the depth of the squad going forward simply because of the lack of midfield, and also as already mentioned an out-and-out goalscorer.

I really wouldn't be surprised if Man U don't win the league. I don't think they will this season if I'm honest.

mathare
9th November 2009, 16:58
Not sure I understand what you mean Matt. Unanswered?Without reply. Chelsea have scored 25 (I think it might be 26 with yesterday's) times without their opposition scoring.

scoobydoo
9th November 2009, 16:59
Not sure I understand what you mean Matt. Unanswered?

It means nobody has scored against them at home apart from Hull I think in the first game of this season.

scoobydoo
9th November 2009, 17:02
Without reply. Chelsea have scored 25 (I think it might be 26 with yesterday's) times without their opposition scoring.

It is 26 yes I think Mat, Hull took the lead didn't they. Amazing what a bit of luck does isn't it? :D

John
9th November 2009, 17:09
Very impressive. Anelka and Drogba partnership ever going to properly work...?

MattR
9th November 2009, 17:19
Very impressive. Anelka and Drogba partnership ever going to properly work...?

Let's hope not.

Personally I'd ike to see Arsenal win it it (as Pompey won't :laugh but hey it's not mathematically over yet). I could watch them play all day. All teams should be made to play that way, what a spectacle football would be then eh? No killing off of games allowed.

Despite the fact we got beaten 5-1 and were lucky it was that low, the FA Cup game a few years back when Arsenal destroyed us at home is still the best game of football I have ever seen. Henry was given a standing ovation when he was subbed near the end......by the Pompey fans :laugh Honestly, it was amazing, there we were getting thrashed and we didn't want the game to end. It's a day I'll never forget.

scoobydoo
9th November 2009, 17:24
Personally I'd ike to see Arsenal won it it (as Pompey won't :laugh but hey it's not mathematically over yet).

I definitely see you in the top 4 of some division next season Matt! :peeky :laugh

mathare
9th November 2009, 17:28
The thing with Arsenal is I still think they need a world class keeper. United need a striker. Only Chelsea seem to have the balance about right and even then I think they could probably do with another back-up striker

scoobydoo
9th November 2009, 17:36
The thing with Arsenal is I still think they need a world class keeper. United need a striker. Only Chelsea seem to have the balance about right and even then I think they could probably do with another back-up striker

If you look at the top 4, it's interesting that only Chelsea didn't sell over the summer, United, Liverpool and Arsenal are weaker to some degree, however Arsenal are doing much better than I thought they would. A couple of signings in January could change the whole title race, maybe David Villa for United. As Mat has said, Fergie needs that striker that will play in the big games-if you are being left out for big games then your relevance as a big player has to be questioned doesn't it?

MattR
9th November 2009, 17:46
I definitely see you in the top 4 of some division next season Matt! :peeky :laugh

I wouldn't bank on it. :laugh

Totally agree with that Mat. Imagine if they'd picked up Shay Given. What a difference someone like that would make. He could earn them the missing 5-10 points. How exactly did he stay at a very ordinary Newcastle team, so long without someone picking him up?

If you look at the top 4, it's interesting that only Chelsea didn't sell over the summer, United, Liverpool and Arsenal are weaker to some degree, however Arsenal are doing much better than I thought they would. A couple of signings in January could change the whole title race, maybe David Villa for United. As Mat has said, Fergie needs that striker that will play in the big games-if you are being left out for big games then your relevance as a big player has to be questioned doesn't it?

I think Arsenal are doing better than expected because they have so much young talent coming through. Also Vermeulen looks a very good signing. I would argue they have the best back up players bar Chelsea. As such their team is not as affected by injuries as much (although Centre back would be a massive blow for them)

mathare
9th November 2009, 17:53
Totally agree with that Mat. Imagine if they'd picked up Shay Given. What a difference someone like that would make. He could earn them the missing 5-10 points. How exactly did he stay at a very ordinary Newcastle team, so long without someone picking him up? I still don't rate him as world class (although he was at his peak before stagnating with an ordinary Newcastle side) but he would have been a good signing all the same.

Talking of dropped points - had Stoke clung on to the leads they have taken this season they would have 12 more points which would see them in second!

scoobydoo
9th November 2009, 17:53
I wouldn't bank on it. :laugh

Yeah you're probably right....I was just being sort of nice. :D

MattR
9th November 2009, 18:44
I still don't rate him as world class (although he was at his peak before stagnating with an ordinary Newcastle side) but he would have been a good signing all the same.

Really Mat? I've always thought he was an excellent keeper and the main reason Newcastle didn't disappear long ago. I think he is a superb shot stopper and very rarely makes mistakes.

Talking of dropped points - had Stoke clung on to the leads they have taken this season they would have 12 more points which would see them in second!

To be fair Mat, if they'd blown the final whistle one minute into our games we'd have been 5 points better off now :laugh

Yeah you're probably right....I was just being sort of nice. :D

:laugh After a brief foray with the Premier, we will return to perfecting the art of staying in the championship with a last day win.

mathare
9th November 2009, 18:56
Really Mat? I've always thought he was an excellent keeper and the main reason Newcastle didn't disappear long ago. I think he is a superb shot stopper and very rarely makes mistakes.I think he's a good Premiership keeper but not world class. Man City will replace him before he is no longer good enough for the Premiership, if you see what I mean. And ignoring who the big team have in goal at present I couldn't have seen him signing for Man Utd, Chelsea etc except possibly at his peak a few years back. At one stage he probably was world class but played in a mediocre Newcastle side for too long and lost some of his edge.

chancer
9th November 2009, 21:09
I think Chelsea have are the team to beat this year. What effect the african nations cup will have is another question. Arsenal are a joy to watch but still need a player to get stuck in when the pressure is on. United are a bit lost. They are changing their formation back to 442 but the players aren't adjusting. Yesterday they went back to 451 and played well but lacked a Ronaldo

jonahjones
9th November 2009, 21:17
David Ngog gives Liverpool the lead at home to Birmingham City.

jonahjones
9th November 2009, 21:30
Christian Benitez heads an equaliser for Birmingham.

John
9th November 2009, 21:38
David Villa for Man Utd would be an amazing coup. He'd be an absolute hero in my opinion, he's a class act.

Kaka for Man City, remember that? They only just beat Burnley. :laugh

My dad's taken some customers to Liverpool V Birmingham tonight. Should be a laugh for the Brum fans...

jonahjones
9th November 2009, 21:52
Cameron Jerome puts Birmingham City ahead with a fabulous strike from around forty yards out in first half injury-time.

MattR
9th November 2009, 21:55
My dad's taken some customers to Liverpool V Birmingham tonight. Should be a laugh for the Brum fans...

I'm sure they are smiling at the moment!

scoobydoo
9th November 2009, 21:58
what a goal from Jerome :)

jonahjones
9th November 2009, 22:36
Steven Gerrard equalises for Liverpool from the penalty spot following a blatant dive from David Ngog to win the spot-kick.

lowe1
9th November 2009, 22:36
Dirty cheating :censored::censored: Ngog he should be banned for that

Win2Win
9th November 2009, 23:01
:splapme Ya muppet. The FA OK'd that type of thing a few weeks back! Just ask Wenger!

peza2605
9th November 2009, 23:03
the next time united get a dodgy penalty to save a game just remember tonight liverpool fans. You get em as well NOT JUST UNITED.:wink

John
9th November 2009, 23:30
the next time united get a dodgy penalty to save a game just remember tonight liverpool fans. You get em as well NOT JUST UNITED.:wink

^ What he said. :D

piggy
9th November 2009, 23:41
to answer a few points chelsea had a big clearout during the summer and got rid of a lot of fringe players[13] and only brought in 4 they did try to buy a couple of others but got knocked back but now the transfer embargo has been lifted i'm sure they will bring in a couple in the january window.
one rumour is diego forlan could come in with some deal about athletico's tax bill debt even if only on loan until end of season, another one is beckham :omg: again a loan signing but with the chance of a summer transfer embargo if think it's more likely that it will be permanant signings they are after.
i must admit arsenal are looking very impressive and the game against them at the end of november could be massive but with joe cole getting fitter and fitter it will be like a new player for us and hopefully he ccan get back to where he was before the injury.

scoobydoo
9th November 2009, 23:58

:splapme Ya muppet. The FA OK'd that type of thing a few weeks back! Just ask Wenger!

From The Times write up:

Finally, with 20 minutes left, Liverpool’s luck changed for the better. Ngog’s run into the penalty area was twinkle-toed, but so was the way he dived to the ground when Lee Carsley tried to stop him with an admittedly desperate tackle. It was the kind of penalty that Arsène Wenger might call “Anfieldish”.

You're right Keith. :laugh

MattR
10th November 2009, 00:11
Got to say the 5th or 6th official would have seen it for what it was :D To be fair to the ref, from where he was it looked like a foul. Although if he didn't see it clearly can he give a penalty? Well, yes, cos he did! But can he really?

scoobydoo
10th November 2009, 00:15
Got to say the 5th or 6th official would have seen it for what it was :D To be fair to the ref, from where he was it looked like a foul. Although if he didn't see it clearly can he give a penalty? Well, yes, cos he did! But can he really?

It's Walton...he isnt fit enough to keep up. :D
You have to say that Gerrard is much better at it though...fine effort by N'gog though :wink

piggy
10th November 2009, 02:48
i didn't think liverpool had any swimming pools never mind diving boards :D

Win2Win
10th November 2009, 09:44
Carsley did touch Ngog though, the Scouse lawyers told me :wink

MattR
10th November 2009, 10:36
Yes, when he decked him in the tunnel later. :D