PDA

View Full Version : The situation at Portsmouth

mathare
12th January 2010, 12:07
I'm sure MattR will correct me if any of this is wrong but I received an email this morning spelling out the situation at Portsmouth, which I found interesting as I had been struggling to keep up with who owns what and what this all means. Here's what I received:

"The club are 90 per cent owned by Falcondrone Ltd, a company
registered in the British Virgin Islands owned outright by Ali Al-
Faraj, a Saudi Arabian whose family wealth is understood to derive
from an international property portfolio and supply contracts to
the Saudi Army.

Faraj tried to buy the club in August but his offer was rejected by
Sacha Gaydamak, who sold instead to Dubai-based businessman
Sulaiman Al Fahim. Faraj took control six weeks later when Fahim,
who controls the remaining 10 per cent, failed to pay the players'
wages.

The Premier League is satisfied that Faraj, who has never been to
Fratton Park or seen Portsmouth play is the ultimate owner of
Falcondrone Ltd and he has passed the fit-and-proper persons test.
The League has raised concerns about some of his advisers.

One of those advisers is Daniel Azougy, a lawyer with multiple
fraud convictions, who is managing the club's finances and leading
the search for investment. The Premier League has sought assurances
that Azougy, whose convictions prevent him from taking a seat on
the board, is not operating as a "shadow director."

Faraj can not personally bail out the club's £60 million worth of
debts, he is hoping to refinance the club with fresh investment
from third parties. This process has been hampered by serious
doubts over the club's viability, as well as the state of the
credit markets.

The fans are asking whether Faraj has put any money into the club -
the answer is 'yes.'

Since taking over, the new owner has directed around £20 million
into the club, paying off various debts including more than £9
million owed to HMRC. Sources close to Faraj say that some of the
money has come directly from the owner but the majority, around £17
million, has come in the form of loans from Hong Kong-based
businessman Balram Chainrai. Those loans are secured against
Fratton Park, effectively giving Chainrai control over the ground.

Chainrai is a British citizen of Nepali extraction whose wealth
derives from consumer electronics. He has attended several games,
home and away.

The former Portsmouth owner Sacha Gaydamak is owed £28 million,
with £9 million payable at the end of this month and the balance in
May 2012. Gaydamak refused to sell the club to Faraj in the summer,
and has raised questions over the true ownership of the club.

Gaydamak cannot afford to tip the club into administration and risk
not being paid off, so as security he has retained ownership of a
crucial piece of land adjacent to Fratton Park, without which the
ground cannot be redeveloped. Negotiations over that land will be
central to Portsmouth's future.

If you are wondering why on earth Faraj ever bought the club - the
number of property developers involved suggests that this might
have been a land deal that has been undermined by a failure to
grasp the full extent of the problems. The new owners may have
banked on receiving all of the television revenue due from Sky
without realising that the Premier League could withhold it to
settle debts to football creditors.

The end is nigh?

The imminent threat to the club is the winding-up order issued by
HMRC. It is due to be heard in the High Court on Feb 10, giving the
club a month to satisfy those debts.

If they fail then the court could be asked to appoint an
administrator to recoup what it is owed. Administration would
trigger a nine-point penalty, but the Premier League believes the
club will be able to complete their 2009-2010 fixtures."

It all sounds like a proper mess that is unlikely to be sorted out to everyone's satisfaction any time in the near future, unfortunately.

Win2Win
12th January 2010, 12:56
This will all we meaningless in a few years when global warming results in Portsmouth being underwater :D

MattR
12th January 2010, 15:08
That just about sums it up nicely Mat. Pretty desperate reading isn't it. :ermmm The fit and proper person's test is a joke.

Not sure what to make of Gaydamak's role in it all. I believe all the players were bought from some kind of loan and I seem to recall hearing something about that company/bank owned the registrations of the players which is why all the transfer money received for them disappeared back to where it was owed. Allowing the buying of all those players and their associated wages, which surely they could see they didn't have a hope in hell of covering down the line, was extremely bad management at best. When you think the wage bill is now in the 1.5m per month mark (and there is probably only James, Kanu and Utaka left on big wages from that time) god knows what it was when they had all the players that have now gone.

I suppose the only hope of avoiding administration is if they pay off the customs bill and Gaydamak agrees to wait for his money. If they do go into administration they need to do it now as they are going down anyway. Start next season with a minus and that could be the end. Assuming the end hasn't already come of course.

One thing I did learn from this as it was supposedly something the club were thinking about was about the Leeds situation that I hadn't known. Leeds apparently secured their future season ticket sales and tv money against loans. Why are these clubs so short sighted?

mathare
12th January 2010, 15:13
One thing I did learn from this as it was supposedly something the club were thinking about was about the Leeds situation that I hadn't known. Leeds apparently secured their future season ticket sales and tv money against loans. Why are these clubs so short sighted?David Sullivan has made some interesting points re club finances too. He claims teams have already spent the TV money and are borrowing against season-ticket income.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/eng_prem/8453337.stm

The bubble will burst at some point

tophatter
12th January 2010, 15:38
What sickens me is the authorities anctioned the takeover of my club Luton Town byu shysters about 5 years ago who were called jayten.

They bled our club dry, broke rules, sold off all our players, treated the fans like dirt then once they had took al they could out of the club left left it financially stricken and it ended up in Administration.

A new group of people take the club over, who are fans of the club and get punished for all these crimes. A total of 40 points are took off us, We are made to pay £500,000 more to the creditors than the admistrator agreed and we are effectifley booted into the non-league.

We, as fans knew the previopuis owners were monsters. We told the authorities and yet WE get punished for their crimes when it was the authorities who passed them as fit and proper people.

I hope no club ever gets treated as badly as my club. Basically we got 15 Million pounds of player sold, two successive relegations and a clubs infastructure ruined. Then the NEW owners got punished for the crimes of people they detested with 30 points deduction and in effect a half a million pound fine which ensured the club they were trying to rescue from the abuse it had received were banished to the non-league.

Guess what punishment the perpurtrators got? I think it was fines ranging between £2,000 and £5,000 and in the ex chairmans case a five year ban from football. He is alright though - he just sailed away into the sunset on his yacht.

I hope Pompey are ok, but if the authorities decide to cover their own mistakes they will take it out on the club and the fans.