PDA

View Full Version : Catergory Idea!!!

Win2Win
23rd January 2010, 17:23
Does anyone think it's worth having a new catergory for 'Hall of Fame', where folk can enter horses, trainers, jockeys, owners, etc that deserve a special mention?

I know we'd get all the obvious, Dessie, Mill Reef, Kauto Star, etc, but my first one would be Our Vic :thumbs

Let me know.

lowe1
23rd January 2010, 17:33
Why whats your Vic done :doh:doh

bigcumba
23rd January 2010, 17:40
Why whats your Vic done :doh:doh

He was bunged up so he rubbed it on his chest and it cleared his airways... he was also constipated so then he rubbed it on his :butthead: and it cleared most of the library he was in at the time.

mick56
23rd January 2010, 17:48
Does anyone think it's worth having a new catergory for 'Hall of Fame', where folk can enter horses, trainers, jockeys, owners, etc that deserve a special mention?

I know we'd get all the obvious, Dessie, Mill Reef, Kauto Star, etc, but my first one would be Our Vic :thumbs

Let me know.

I think you should go with this its a great idea partically if members use less obvious posts which are significant to them especially if they feel able to tell us why this:thumbs could make a really interesting on going thread.
Only yesterday some one on anther site made mention of the weight carrying achievements of ROMAN WARROIR and it was not only interesting reading but brought back many happy memory's. :thumbs

mick56
23rd January 2010, 17:54
He was bunged up so he rubbed it on his chest and it cleared his airways... he was also constipated so then he rubbed it on his :butthead: and it cleared most of the library he was in at the time.
Hope we are not returning to this butter verse vaselin again :helper

bigcumba
23rd January 2010, 17:57
Hope we are not returning to this butter verse vaselin again :helper

Nah we kind of slipped up there.... :laugh

Win2Win
23rd January 2010, 18:47
:icon_offtopic::sheep:

Godspot
25th January 2010, 16:58
I think this is a good idea & would quite gladly contribute now & again - I was thinking of Caracciola(Ger) yesterday but then for some reason, Chaplins Club(USA), remember he won 9 h'cap sprints back in 1988? Didn't 'sprint king' Dandy Nicholls hone his skills from David Chapman?

mick56
25th January 2010, 17:04
I think this is a good idea & would quite gladly contribute now & again - I was thinking of Caracciola(Ger) yesterday but then for some reason, Chaplins Club(USA), remember he won 9 h'cap sprints back in 1988? Didn't 'sprint king' Dandy Nicholls hone his skills from David Chapman?

Good call mate what about SOBA :thumbs

Win2Win
25th January 2010, 17:59
Been that since 2002 :doh

Godspot
25th January 2010, 23:30

Er, slightly before my time (& the Racing Post's too) bud but I see where you're coming from:

Just Dandy for maestro Nicholls

By Cornelius Lysaght
BBC racing correspondent

Chesney Hawkes sung that he was the 'One and Only' but the 1980s teeny warbler can never have met Dandy Nicholls.

Because, when they made Nicholls, trainer of Gift Horse, the last-gasp winner of Glorious Goodwood's Stewards' Cup, they really did break the mould.

Nicholls lands Stewards' Cup
Now 12 stone-odd, the once journeyman jockey, a winner of the Stewards Cup' indeed on Soba (1982), is what's often termed a colourful character.

Short, solid and striking looking, with a shaven head, he looks like a diminutive but effective bouncer.

And to colourful add the words noisy, punchy, garrulous, wild, all of them with a Yorkshire accent.

Those of us caught up in the celebratory scenes sparked by Gift Horse, ridden with icy precision by Kieren Fallon, will, honestly, never forget them.

Fallon got a kiss; so did the horse; so did various startled bystanders. Even I got one, a smacker, on the cheek, luckily. Others were less fortunate.

If they want to send me a horse, I'll win the Derby for 'em
Nicholls' message to the Queen and Sheikh Mohammed
Nicholls was drunk; no, not literally, but intoxicated by a splendid plan, beautifully executed.

Although Gift Horse was his trainer's second success in the ever-competitive three-quarter mile charge across the Sussex Downs, after Tayseer (2000), it was his umpteenth win in this type of sprint race.

So, I asked, what was it about these fast and furious dashes that so attracted him.

The reply was vintage Dandy.

Raising himself to his full 5ft 3ins, he declared: "The Queen, Sheikh Mohammed, Lord Fauntleroy don't send me their (well-bred) horses, so I have to make do with what folk do send me.

"It doesn't mean that I cannot do it with other types though, and I would say to any of 'em, if they want to send me a horse, I'll win the Derby for 'em."

But, I went on, sprints are such impossibly difficult races to win, so how do you do it?

"I'm a trier that loves a challenge," he replied, before adding with a mischievous grin aimed at the assembled media, "ask their missuses."

A few minutes earlier, the mood had not been so light when Gift Horse lashed out and nearly kicked Fallon in the paddock before the race.

Had he made contact, the jockey would have been hospitalised, and the horse withdrawn.

Asked about this, Nicholls insisted: "It would have been like Soba, and I would have ridden the bugger myself. But, no, Kieren is king of the planet so he was ok."

For many, it was Dandy Nicholls' three winners, all sprinters of course, that really made Goodwood glorious this year.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/other_sports/horse_racing/4736575.stm

mick56
26th January 2010, 00:07
Godspot if SOBA was before your time,you missed out on watching a super game and consistent sprinter.The ideal subject for this proposed new category. Although talking through my pocket in the best possible way she does not invoke the best of memorys for me.For prior to her winning the stewards cup she was my choice for the race top on my figs and analise but for some reason which i cannot explain i had this illogical niggling doubt in the back of my mind,and unfortunately gave into it and decided not to bet.

Even in those long ago days i used to have the same stake on each bet so as i watched her win the race at a big price i knew exactly how much my unwise decision had cost me.but that was my fault not hers and she was a super filly.

mick56
26th January 2010, 22:57
Hi all it has been a bit quiet on here recently have we all still got the jan blues.even the veg man appears a bit docile.

Mr wong2wong (thank goodness revenge is a dish best served cold)can we start this new category some good tales of men and horses would surely
fire up the enthusiasm. :thumbs

vegyjones
27th January 2010, 01:36
The forum horse, Quito!

bigcumba
27th January 2010, 10:50
The forum horse, Quito!

Yep, totally agreed on that one!

Win2Win
27th January 2010, 10:54
Ipledgeallegiance :thumbs

bigcumba
27th January 2010, 10:56
Ipledgeallegiance :thumbs

That was the forum lay.... before Vegy appeared... :omg:

Win2Win
27th January 2010, 11:37
That was the forum lay.... before Vegy appeared... :omg:
Didn't it win at 100/1 or something? :doh

mathare
27th January 2010, 11:45
Didn't it win at 100/1 or something? :dohIt won a handicap hurdle at 50/1 by a neck, its last win.
http://www.racingpost.com/horses/result_home.sd?race_id=363567&r_date=2005-01-13

£45k in prize money from 89 runs - not a great return.