PDA

View Full Version : Daily Waffle 31st January

scoobydoo
31st January 2010, 19:59
Last day of the month ends with a losing day although not that bad. Pretty awful last week of January though have to say.

Backs 0/4 -4.00pts
Lays 1/1 +0.95pts

mathare
31st January 2010, 20:17
I'm not entirely done for the day but the horseracing is all the way so...

W2W Systems: 0 from 0
W2W Lays: 1 from 1, up 0.95pts (should have been more, got a really lousy price)
Other: 23 from 36, up 15.34pts

jonahjones
31st January 2010, 23:02
Down quite a bit again to round off a miserable few days.

Two double backs failing to emulate the recent behaviour of their lay counterparts meant it was always going to be a struggle.

Jumping For Profit has to be one of my most annoying systems.

I know I am only fourteen months in, but this is becoming frustratingly like Groundhog Day.

My combined bank consistently rises to a certain level (£50 either way) and then begins to plummet.

It's becoming ominously predictable. As soon as my bank gets to a particular point, I just know that bad times are not far away. Sadly, I haven't yet been wrong.

Sorry if this sounds a little negative but I am only stating the facts.

Part of me thinks I should alter my portfolio but I feel that would be hypocritical as I promised myself I would give each system three years before evaluating its performance.

I know patience is the key but sometimes I just need to sound-off! :)

mathare
31st January 2010, 23:06
Part of me thinks I should alter my portfolio but I feel that would be hypocritical as I promised myself I would give each system three years before evaluating its performance.That's a long time to stick with a system if it's just not working for you. If you aren't getting reasonable returns ditch it and move on to another system.

jonahjones
31st January 2010, 23:18
That's a long time to stick with a system if it's just not working for you. If you aren't getting reasonable returns ditch it and move on to another system.

I remember analysing the historic statistics for each system before I bought it and noticed that, generally, each one didn't really appear to take off until around the three-year mark.

As expected, there were many peaks and troughs but it seemed to me that each system stabilised after approximately three years. That is to say that any negative territory disappeared without trace after this point.

Of course, this is just my perception and I may be totally wrong.

mathare
1st February 2010, 10:35
Things change though Jonah, rules of racing change so it could be that some of the systems just aren't as effective any more so giving them three years could be overkill. If the system has produced a good number of qualifiers, is showing no signs of profit and no signs of improving then I would think about canning it. Perhaps switch to paper-trading it for a period (6 months, a year) to see if it can recover or put a high bank barrier on it to effectively achieve the same result but still getting your cash down when it's doing well.