PDA

View Full Version : MP's anger at expenses 'ban' on first-class travel

scoobydoo
18th February 2010, 14:01
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk_politics/8521510.stm

Sir Nicholas Winterton has angrily denounced plans to reduce first-class travel by MPs - telling the BBC he needs "quiet" and privacy to work.

The veteran Tory MP said there was a "totally different type of people" in standard-class train carriages.

I listened to this programme this morning and it probably has given Gordon Brown his biggest lift for a year or so. :D

vegyjones
18th February 2010, 21:01
Why, these politician types should have special lanes on the road too... Can't use the same roads as us common folk :D

TheOldhamWhisper
18th February 2010, 21:08
If you've ever booked a seat in the 'quiet zone' for a 4 hour train journey and watched a family of 5 take seats in the same carriage, you'd be far more receptive to Sir Nick's plight! Apparently, as long as mommy walks half way down the carriage with her mobile phone ringing, it counts as being 'quiet' as she didn't actually use the phone! And the attention span of 3 young children playing a 'quiet' game of "Spot the tree" is quite limited...

mick56
18th February 2010, 21:22
I dont think much of his "totally different type of people" comment and that will cost him,but i suppouse we should be grateful that he condescends to go by train instead of trying to blag a chauffeur driven Daimler.

Regarding his remark in these so called enlightened times,why do we have a first and second class anything?.

mick56
18th February 2010, 21:33
Scooby just noticed you are on your 4999th post thats far more 1st class than above are you going to give us something special for the 5000. well done

scoobydoo
18th February 2010, 21:40
I dont think much of his "totally different type of people" comment and that will cost him,but i suppouse we should be grateful that he condescends to go by train instead of trying to blag a chauffeur driven Daimler.

Regarding his remark in these so called enlightened times,why do we have a first and second class anything?.

It wont cost him Mick, he is retiring thank god...that is why he is doing it to embarrass Cameron. He is a dinosaur and is one of the reasons I will never vote Tory, how many more think like Sir Nicholas? His attitude throughout the whole show was unreal....he would've been more at home around 1900. He was so inconsisitent as well, he said that he needed to travel first class so as he could do important work. Then right afterwards he said that he drives all the time with Mrs Winterton MP.:doh

scoobydoo
18th February 2010, 21:45
Scooby just noticed you are on your 4999th post thats far more 1st class than above are you going to give us something special for the 5000. well done

Err...no same old rubbish Mick. :D

mick56
18th February 2010, 21:51
It wont cost him Mick, he is retiring thank god...

I did not no that he was retiring, but its not far short of "let them eat cake"and even though he still thinks this way i bet with hindsight he wishes he had kept his mouth shut.If not for the party then certainly for himself.

Anyway on to more important matters congratulations your 5000th post any reminiscence's?.:thumbs

Bill
19th February 2010, 14:30
Why doesn't the git just pay the extra for 1st class from the not insubstantial earnings? and devious expenses that he claims.

mick56
19th February 2010, 14:36
Why doesn't the git just pay the extra for 1st class from the not insubstantial earnings? and devious expenses that he claims.

Well said Bill:thumbs