PDA

View Full Version : Formula 1 Sweepstake Game - BRITAIN - 11/07/10

TheGoodGuy
7th July 2010, 12:50
On the WEDNESDAY before each race I will post up an excel spreadsheet from which your randomly chosen driver(s) will be revealed.
There are 24 drivers competing in the 2010 F1 season, however, the spreadsheet contains 25 slots.
24 of the slots quite obviously contain the 24 drivers’ names. The other slot contains the SAFETY CAR.

Anyone is welcome to join the game at any time.
There is no limit to the number of players, only the number of F1 drivers !

Points will be awarded to players as follows:
At the end of each race, players holding the names of the points scoring driver(s), (the first ten finishers), will score the SAME amount of points that are awarded to their named driver(s)…..

1st = 25pts
2nd = 18pts
3rd = 15pts
4th = 12pts
5th = 10pts
6th = 8pts
7th = 6pts
8th = 4pts
9th = 2pts
10th = 1pt
The player holding the SAFETY CAR will have 20pts ADDED to their total if the SAFETY CAR IS deployed during the race.
However they will LOSE 20pts from their total if the SAFETY CAR is NOT deployed during the race.

WHAT YOU HAVE TO DO
Each day between Wednesday and Friday before each race, players may pick and post ONE number between 1 and 25 here on the game thread (first come first served).
Players may continue to pick/post ONE number each day (first come first served) until ALL the numbers have been allocated.
Players may NOT post retrospectively, ie if a player fails to pick/post a number on, say, Wednesday, they CANNOT pick/post two numbers on Thursday.
Only ONE number can be picked each day.

I will then PM (or Email) you 2 PASSWORDS.....the first (SHEET PASSWORD) will give you access to the Excel spreadsheet, and the second (NUMBER PASSWORD) will correspond to the number you have chosen.
Open the spreadsheet (attached below) and copy and paste the NUMBER PASSWORD into the appropriate cell and your driver's name will be revealed.

At the end of each race I will post an updated Results and Leaders Table.
The player who has amassed the most points at the end of the season will win an Amazon Voucher.

IMPORTANT....PLEASE NOTE
Select 'READ ONLY' if prompted.....this shouldn't prevent you from pasting your PASSWORDS into the spreadsheet to reveal your drivers.

I would also suggest that if you get the 'DO YOU WANT TO SAVE CHANGES MADE....' prompt when you EXIT the spreadsheet, you click 'NO' in response.
If you click 'YES' and haven't deleted your PASSWORD from the sheet, then other people who subsequently access it will see your PASSWORD and selection.
The choice is yours.

GENERAL
If you want to keep your selection(s) to yourself, that's fine.....but if you want to disclose/share/discuss your selection(s) with other players, please feel free to do so here on the game thread.

PLEASE EITHER CHECK OTHER PLAYERS' POSTS TO ENSURE THAT YOU ARE NOT GOING TO CHOOSE A NUMBER THAT HAS ALREADY BEEN PICKED BY SOMEONE ELSE......OR REFER TO THE LIST BELOW TO SEE WHICH NUMBERS ARE STILL AVAILABLE FOR SELECTION

Numbers Still Available For Selection - RACE 10 - BRITAIN:

Good luck to you all.

:thumbs

TheGoodGuy
7th July 2010, 12:51
ANNOUNCEMENT

This announcement is directed at those players who choose NOT to reveal the identities of their chosen drivers.

From now on, at the end of each race, if your driver(s) finish in the points you must reveal yourself as the 'owner' of the driver(s) concerned in order to get the points awarded added to your score.

If you fail to identify yourself as the 'owner' of a point scoring driver then the points will go 'unclaimed' and no points will be awarded.

If you have revealed the identity of your drivers before/during the race in thread posts/discussions, then there is no need to identify yourself again at the end of the race.....points will automatically be awarded as appropriate.

bigcumba
7th July 2010, 12:55
Ah okay, I haven't done so a couple of times through being too busy to do so with 24 hour stints at work and recovering afterwards, sometimes doing over 70 hours a week.., so I've not always been around at the right time to do that.. like today, I've been up since 6 am yesterday and m going to bed now for a kip..

Anyway I'll have 16 to start with pleas

mathare
7th July 2010, 12:57
Mambo number 5 please Ada

mathare
7th July 2010, 13:04
Pedro de la Rosa :(

johnwilly
7th July 2010, 13:05
4 please Ada

John
7th July 2010, 13:45
6 please Ada.

scoobydoo
7th July 2010, 13:56
23 please Ada

scoobydoo
7th July 2010, 14:04
Truly it is Jarno Trulli :rolleyes:

John
7th July 2010, 16:41
6 = Lewis Hamilton

yerotsluap
7th July 2010, 17:15
1 please Ada

neilb7
7th July 2010, 17:43
7 please and i will start to declare my driver......:splapme

TooTall
7th July 2010, 17:47
11 please

bigcumba
7th July 2010, 18:32
And so my run of top drivers continues :laugh

Vitantonio Liuzzi

TheGoodGuy
7th July 2010, 19:06
ANNOUNCEMENT

Just to clarify the announcement I made above:

You only have to declare your driver(s) if they finish in a point scoring position, at the end of a race.

The choice is yours whether or not you reveal the name your driver(s) before the end of a race.

(If you have revealed the identity of your drivers before/during the race in thread posts/discussions, then there is no need to identify yourself again at the end of the race.....points will automatically be awarded as appropriate.)

neilb7
7th July 2010, 19:14
Michael Schumacher
:rolleyes:

yerotsluap
7th July 2010, 19:22
1 = Robert Kubica

Iron Chris
7th July 2010, 19:53
18 Please Ada.

vegyjones
7th July 2010, 21:59
2 please Ada.

TooTall
7th July 2010, 22:17
:laugh Di Grassi

TheGoodGuy
8th July 2010, 00:17
WHAT YOU HAVE TO DO
Each day between Wednesday and Friday before each race, players may pick and post ONE number between 1 and 25 here on the game thread (first come first served).
Players may continue to pick/post ONE number each day (first come first served) until ALL the numbers have been allocated.
Players may NOT post retrospectively, ie if a player fails to pick/post a number on, say, Wednesday, they CANNOT pick/post two numbers on Thursday.
New players may join the game at any time.

OK guys.....

It's now Thursday and at the time of writing the numbers yet to be picked are:

12-15 inclusive
19-22 inclusive

So, ANYONE who wants to pick ONE number for Thursday from the list above.....please feel free.
This includes:
a) anyone picking a number for the first time
AND
b) anyone who picked a number yesterday (Wednesday) & wants to increase their chances of scoring some/more points with a second selection.

Make sure you confirm that numbers you would like to choose from the list above have NOT been picked in posts made after this one.........alternatively refer to the first post of this thread for a more up-to-date list.

scoobydoo
8th July 2010, 01:22
3 please Ada

bigcumba
8th July 2010, 07:06
12 please Ada

Iron Chris
8th July 2010, 07:58
8 Please Ada.

yerotsluap
8th July 2010, 09:56
25 please Ada

johnwilly
8th July 2010, 09:58
13 please Ada

mathare
8th July 2010, 10:06
Lucky number 14 please Ada

scoobydoo
8th July 2010, 12:54
Number 3 is Fernando Alonso.

John
8th July 2010, 13:03
10 please Ada

johnwilly
8th July 2010, 13:12
Glock and for the 101st time Kovalainen

mathare
8th July 2010, 13:15
Karun Chandhok ;fire

John
8th July 2010, 14:24
10 = Nico Rosberg

lowe1
8th July 2010, 16:47
dam missed yesterday due to flying

can i have 22 please

TooTall
8th July 2010, 18:25
17 please

bigcumba
8th July 2010, 18:27
12 is Sebastien Buemi

neilb7
8th July 2010, 19:02
15 please

yerotsluap
8th July 2010, 20:21
25=Safety Car

TheGoodGuy
8th July 2010, 23:59
WHAT YOU HAVE TO DO
New players may join the game at any time.

OK guys.....

It's now Friday and at the time of writing the numbers yet to be picked are:

So, ANYONE who wants to pick ONE number for Friday from the list above (first come first served).....please feel free.
This includes:
a) anyone picking a number for the first time
AND
b) anyone who picked a number on Wednesday and/or Thursday & wants to increase their chances of scoring some/more points with another selection.

scoobydoo
9th July 2010, 00:02
9 please Ada

scoobydoo
9th July 2010, 00:20
number 9 is Vitaly Petrov

yerotsluap
9th July 2010, 02:25
19 please Ada

lowe1
9th July 2010, 06:26
24 please

lowe1
9th July 2010, 06:32
22 = Senna :rolleyes:

johnwilly
9th July 2010, 06:42
21 please Ada

bigcumba
9th July 2010, 07:18
I think that leaves 20 for me please Ada

TheGoodGuy
9th July 2010, 12:01
OK....that's it....all the numbers have now been picked.

Sat 10 July: Qualifying 1300 BST

Sun 11 July: Race 1300 BST

johnwilly
9th July 2010, 12:05
21 is vettel

lowe1
9th July 2010, 13:46
24 is Button :thumbs:thumbs:thumbs

TooTall
9th July 2010, 16:00
17 is Kobycrashi again

yerotsluap
9th July 2010, 17:56
19 = Rubens Barrichello

bigcumba
9th July 2010, 17:58
20 - Mark Webber.. that's better, assuming he doesn't try and emulate Concorde this weekend..

yerotsluap
9th July 2010, 18:00
22 = Senna :rolleyes:

Apparently Senna isn't driving this weekend. Hispania have replaced him for the race with Sakon Yamamoto

vegyjones
9th July 2010, 20:31
Missed out on a second pick and have been lumbered with Jaime Algersuari :frown:

Iron Chris
9th July 2010, 21:02
Massa & Hulkenberg.

TheGoodGuy
10th July 2010, 14:11
British Grand Prix Provisional Starting Grid Positions
11/07/10 13:00

1.Sebastian Vettel
2.Mark Webber
3.Fernando Alonso
4.Lewis Hamilton
5.Nico Rosberg
6.Robert Kubica
7.Felipe Massa
8.Rubens Barrichello
9.Pedro de la Rosa
10.Michael Schumacher
11.Adrian Sutil
12.Kamui Kobayashi
13.Nico Hulkenberg
14.Jenson Button
15.Vitantonio Liuzzi
16.Vitaly Petrov
17.Sebastien Buemi
18.Jaime Alguersuari
19.Heikki Kovalainen
20.Timo Glock
21.Jarno Trulli
22.Lucas di Grassi
23.Karun Chandhok
24.Sakon Yamamoto (replacing Bruno Senna)

TheGoodGuy
11th July 2010, 15:00
Post 1 attachments updated with RACE 10 (Britain) results & players' positions.
**WOULD THE PLAYER WHO PICKED ADRIAN SUTIL PLEASE MAKE THEMSELF KNOWN IN ORDER TO CLAIM THEIR 4 POINTS**

Next race: Germany - 25/07/10.

I will post a new game thread and spreadsheet on WEDNESDAY 21st JULY.

neilb7
11th July 2010, 15:09
Adrian Sutil
was my number 15. :thumbs

TheGoodGuy
11th July 2010, 15:20
Cheers Neil.

Post 1 attachments updated with RACE 10 (Britain) results & players' positions.

Next race: Germany - 25/07/10.

I will post a new game thread and spreadsheet on WEDNESDAY 21st JULY.

TheGoodGuy
14th July 2010, 02:11
ANNOUNCEMENT

OK guys, due to peoples' presumably differing knowledge of Excel, unfortunately there are those in the know that ,with their ability, if they should so wish, can/could exploit this game AND my own naivety, in cracking the passwords in this game ad hoc, to enhance/reduce their chances of winning, or not winning, as and when they see fit.
They may or may not choose to use this advantage in their game-play, I appreciate that, but as I've unfortunately only now found this 'loophole' to be such a straightforward or EASY way for the game to be compromised......I'm not prepared to take the risk in continuing to run a game that is so potentially 'open' to abuse.

Until (or if) I find a more secure method of producing an Excel passworded 'sweepstake' style of game then....

....sorry guys, to ensure that the goodwill of any player is not compromised, this game is now OVER.

mathare
14th July 2010, 08:48
Ada - I have a suggestion. Why not continue the game (if you're willing to do so) but when someone picks a number you respond with their driver name and then post the spreadsheet (time-stamped to prove it was created before the first driver was chosen if you think that's best) when all drivers have been chosen, or after the race. Then none of us have access to the spreadsheet and can't hack it.

I reckon you'll think this way is less fair as potentially you could change the drivers around to favour certain players but no-one will think you'd do this and by having a time-stamped spreadsheet created before the event you can prove you haven't tinkered.

scoobydoo
14th July 2010, 09:54
I agree with Mat, we all trust you Ada so I can't see as that would be a problem if you did want to carry on the game.

TheGoodGuy
14th July 2010, 11:37
OK then, I'll carry on with the game.............so that gives me a week to come up with a suitable alternative method of distributing the drivers, and your suggestion, Mat, is certainly one worth considering.

scoobydoo
14th July 2010, 12:07
OK then, I'll carry on with the game.............so that gives me a week to come up with a suitable alternative method of distributing the drivers, and your suggestion, Mat, is certainly one worth considering.

Good stuff...I can try and improve my relegation form then! :smile:

John
14th July 2010, 20:19
Good stuff guys. I'm pleased the game is going to continue. I think if Mat's suggestion were to be implemented and you do decide to run with it Ada, it'll also save you the time it takes to PM everyone the password details for their chosen number. That must take some time and it's really repetitive (...plus you can't enjoy doing it!)

If everyone were to pick numbers and then see a 'published' spreadsheet with the full list on, I think (a) it definitely seems a safer and less time-consuming way to do this, and (b) it adds to the anticipation of waiting to see who you've picked!