PDA

View Full Version : How to lay a horse on betfair?

jaceug
4th June 2011, 16:01
Hi,

I have read a lot about laying horses but I am unsure how to lay a horse on betfair for very small stakes. I want to lay horses starting with a small stake for example 0.20 as I am afraid I might make costly mistakes.

All help appreciated.

Thanks,

JJ

jaceug
4th June 2011, 17:28
I googled my question above and found the following. Will the more experienced please let me know if this procedure will work. It seems to be the same as backing at shorter stakes on betfair. Well, I suppose I can found out by laying a horse at small stakes, too! Which I am gonna do right now!!

Laying with a stake of less than £2 on Betfair

In this example, I imagine that I want to lay a horse for a stake of 50 pence, at the current market price of 2.5.

Step 1 - Click the ‘lay’ box of the horse of your choice.

Step 2 - In the ‘price’ side enter ’1.01′ (assuming the price is more than that) and in the Stake box, enter £2 – press submit.

Your bet will not be matched, instead it will be listed in your “My Bets” tab as unmatched
Step 3 – Change the ‘stake’ add your intended stake amount to the existing £2 – so enter £2.50 and press ‘submit’.

You will now have 2 unmatched lay bets for 1.01- one for £2 and one for 50 pence.

Step 4 – in the 50p bet, change the odds to those currently available to lay – 2.5. Click cancel on the £2 bet @ 1.01. Press submit.

mathare
4th June 2011, 17:33
It works and that trick has been around for years but it is against the terms and conditions of your Betfair account and they can shut you down for doing it. I was once given a final warning for using this method and was threatened with closure.

If you want to bet to smaller stakes Betdaq have a £1 minimum bet.

jaceug
4th June 2011, 17:37
Just laid my first horse in the 18.35 at Tramore for a whopping € 0.10 trial. So, Alayir I hope you loose. I want my 0.10 stake back plus profit my dear!

jaceug
4th June 2011, 17:40
It works and that trick has been around for years but it is against the terms and conditions of your Betfair account and they can shut you down for doing it. I was once given a final warning for using this method and was threatened with closure.

If you want to bet to smaller stakes Betdaq have a £1 minimum bet.

Thanks Mathare! An informative post - I did not know about this rule of betfair. Guess I did not pick it up when I read the rules.

MattR
4th June 2011, 19:41
Mat, I remember you mentioning that before, were you solely doing under £2 stakes at the time when you were warned? I have often done under £2 and still do when trying to test something but all my regular my bets are over £2 so I'm wondering if yo were just doing those small bets which was why your account got flagged. Now with the bots greening up all over the place i would think there are thousands of bets an hour under £2

Win2Win
5th June 2011, 08:59
Generally Betfair allow bets to be greened up under £2 via the API, as it is part of the service and uses different servers than the main site. I imagine they still don't like it but they have much better servers and bandwidth these days with much more spare capacity.

If you are just testing a few bets then they shouldn't have a problem, but if you're doing it for months you may get flagged up.

mathare
5th June 2011, 09:17
Mat, I remember you mentioning that before, were you solely doing under £2 stakes at the time when you were warned?I think I was, yes. If I wasn't betting less than £2 every time it was certainly the majority of the time. I stopped after that warning and haven't had any troubles with my account since

Dolus
28th September 2011, 10:34
I know it's been a few months since any replies to this thread, but I have been betting below the £2 minimum for years (because I seem permanently stuck in testing mode) :doh, and never had any complaints from Betfair.

There are quite a few betting applications that are Betfair approved that allow the punter to bet or lay below the £2 minimum.

There is free BF approved trading software. I don't know if it is any good for its intended purpose, as I only ever use it to place bets at below the £2 minimum.