PDA

View Full Version : silverlight problem

seagoon
12th May 2012, 20:01
8th may windows automatically updated as usual now computer wont boot. it seems the cause was a silverlight upgrade. on the wifes laptop i was able to use safe mode to do a restore on mine i must have disabled it as it cant find a resture and i cant use add remove because installer is stopped. any ideas anyone:rolleyes:

Win2Win
13th May 2012, 10:25
Can you get in via Safe Mode on yours? If so go to Uninstall Programs, and click the Windows option, and uninstall any updates on the 8th.

If you can't do that you need the Windows boot disk, this may fix it, although you don't say which version of Windows you have. An install may erase your data.

seagoon
13th May 2012, 12:53
xp home no disc its on a partition cannot uninstall as safe mode stops the uninstaller from working. does anyone else suffer this problem:rolleyes:

Win2Win
13th May 2012, 19:50
http://www.ehow.com/how_7319417_uninstall-software-using-command-prompt.html

seagoon
14th May 2012, 18:00
nice one keith except the last bit the service was stopped so I couldnt delete. can you start a service in safe mode. I made a dos boot floppy but cant get onto c directory.

Win2Win
14th May 2012, 19:23
This should start the Installer service in Safe Mode http://cainternetsecurity.net/KB/KD.aspx?KDId=1271

Then you may be able to remove all the installed Windows Updates

seagoon
14th May 2012, 21:05
system error 1058 cannot start disabled;fire. I tried ubuntu linuz off a mem stickwouldnt let me see the hard drive:rolleyes:

Win2Win
14th May 2012, 22:50
Your disk will be NTFS format not FAT so it means you can't see it.

In Safe Mode open the Windows Control Panel by clicking "Start," >>> "Control Panel."Open the Administrative Tools folder by double-clicking "Administrative Tools" in the Control Panel window, or just click "Performance and Maintenance," then "Administrative Tools" in category view. Open the Services tool by double-clicking "Services" in the Control Panel window.

Find the Installer service and try and activate it.

If that fails PM me.

seagoon
15th May 2012, 12:18
thanks Keith it has now been sorted a microsoft technician/customer service bloke sorted it remotely so I could get silverlight off now everything is ok so thanks for your help I've learned a few things on the way:spinning:spinning:spinning:rolleyes:

Win2Win
15th May 2012, 20:06
:thumbs

If you'd asked at PC World they'd just tell you to reformat the drive :doh1:

seagoon
16th May 2012, 11:00
with cheap tarmac???::omg: