PDA

View Full Version : Bid to block minimum alcohol pricing

Win2Win Racing
25th July 2013, 07:48
Five European wine-producing nations are trying to block Scotland's plans for minimum alcohol pricing, BBC News learns.

More... (http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-scotland-politics-22182607#sa-ns_mchannel=rss&ns_source=PublicRSS20-sa)

Bid to block minimum alcohol pricing

barneymather
25th July 2013, 20:42
I'm from north of the border and - gasp! - drink very little, therefore this legislation would cost me nothing.

In one way I can see the logic of such a move, but aside from the anti-competitive arguments from some European countries, I think it's the Nanny State at work again, something I always fight against.

Although some would say I'm just being mischievous, those in favour of this move, albeit for mostly sensible reasons, are highly paid MPs, doctors, and senior police officers, all of whom can afford to drink every night of the week if they feel like it.

No need for them to buy a few cheap cans to watch a football match on the telly, as these guys can buy as much as they like of the good stuff.

And their hefty salaries are funded of course by old muggins the taxpayer, who also pays for subsidised booze in the UK's parliaments.

tovarich
25th July 2013, 22:46
Ah widnae hae thought there wis a drinks problem in Scotland, Barney! There wisnae when ah lived there, up till 1959 that is - :biggrin: an' drinkin an' getting aff yer heid wisnae a problem at a':smile:

barneymather
25th July 2013, 22:52
Boays gettin' blootered oan Buckie is what's driving this legislation. The former's heids ur up their erse, when it's no' doon a boattle of electric soup.

Parliamo Glasgow, Keith? Check old Stanley Baxter clips for a translation. :wink: