PDA

View Full Version : Beginners/Novice

wistda
4th August 2003, 12:40
Hi all,

Something which has been bugging me for a while, and which may be relevant to todays cards. Can anyone explain what the difference is between a novice chase and a beginners chase?

Cheers,

wistda.

:doh

Bulldog
24th August 2003, 13:34
Hi all,

Something which has been bugging me for a while, and which may be relevant to todays cards. Can anyone explain what the difference is between a novice chase and a beginners chase?

Cheers,

wistda.

:doh
I think it might well be that Novice Chases are for horses with a win under their belt, whilst Beginners Chases are for horses that haven't won yet

wistda
27th August 2003, 15:09
There would seem to be some logic to that - thanks Bulldog.

bigcumba
27th August 2003, 17:56
I think the beginners chases might be 3yo only, whereas the others tend to be 4yo+. I may of course be totally wrong. :)

wistda
27th August 2003, 18:04
A difference in opinion! I'll keep both concepts in mind when another comes up. Thanks for the suggestion BigC.

bigcumba
27th August 2003, 18:07
I think you may be waiting a while for the next beginners chase Wistda - they seem to be few and far between!

wistda
30th August 2003, 21:13
It looks like Bulldog gets the prize. Beginners chase at Ballinrobe 16:30 tomorrow. Horses 5yo and upwards, none of which have won a chase before. Looks like one to lay the favourite perhaps.

TheOldhamWhisper
30th August 2003, 22:47
I think it might well be that Novice Chases are for horses with a win under their belt, whilst Beginners Chases are for horses that haven't won yet

I think you're right Bulldog:

"A horse in its first full season of racing over fences after it has won its first race is known as a novice."

bigcumba
31st August 2003, 11:00
Glad we got that one sorted out at last!